Ready to make my purchase, but still need help !

alpha

Newly Enlightened
After reading some reviews, i decided to go for one of this choises.
Surefire g2 vs streamlight scorpion

I supose both have a better throw and a much brighter light than my actual Mag 2 d flashlight.

Si this is my final choise, which one is better ? and brighter ? Which one should i buy?

Thanks a lot !

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
I have a SF 6P and Scorpion. although not a G2 I think you will be better off with the SF brand. The Scorpion is a good low end light. nice thing about them is they are cheap (but then again so is the G2) and the bulbs are less expensive to replace. but you will see the quality difference. Go with the SF.

my .02

Boltgun

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I really don't want to get in this cat fight, BUT.

Flashlightreviews shows that the Streamlight Scorpion/TL-2/NF-2 (same bulb assembly) outthrows the Surefire G2, and the Streamlights produce more overall lumens.

The Streamlights come with an on board spare lamp. The Surefires do not.

Brightguys price on Surefire lamp assembly is $ 17.00. Streamlight spare lamps are TWO for $ 4.50. That is one heckava difference.

You also have the choice of the Streamight Nightfighter, or TL-2 series, both very nice aluminum bodied lights.

I've owned them all, and sold all my SF's, and now own several Scorpions, TL-2s, and TL-3s. Happy camper.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
The scorpion has a focusable head, inexpensive bulb to replace, comes with a spare bulb, has a clickie switch, and is made of metal.

The G2 has a beam that's always in focus, you can switch to 120 lumens (p61), you can buy a lock out tail cap or mod it to a clickie, and is made nitrolon which will absorb shock better than metal.

According to Quickbeam's website the scorpion is brighter scoring a 58. The G2 scored a 52. These are the scores for overall brightness. Quickbeam's overall brightness chart

If I was giving this as a gift it would be the scorpion because of the inexpensive replacement bulb. If I was buying this for myself it would definately be the G2 because of the accessories or options that it offers.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ready to make my purchase, but still need help

You say "ready to make my purchase". I hope you understand that this is just the beginning- you'll need to buy another and another and another and ....

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Having owned both of the lights you are asking about I would definitely go for the Surefire. The negatives as I perceive them about the Scorpion are:

a)Rubber cover which eventually stretches and slides around the metal scorpion body.
b)Rubber cover is too grippy causing holstering and deployment issues.
c)Not particularly waterproof
d)Bulbs although cheap can and do become detached and are absolute b*****d's to get out of the bezel if this occurs!
e)No off the shelf accessories

Surefire G2 weaknesses:

a)Cant use P61 bulb continuously without the risk of deforming the lexan lens through the build up of heat.
b)Bulbs are more expensive and there is no spare with the initial purchase
c)Not particualry waterproof
d)No lockout tailcap as standard
e)Lexan lens can and will scratch (no more so than the Scorpion though)

Pluses:
Great quality, great beam, lots of accessories off the shelf and almost impervious to damage....Oh! and it's pretty cheap!

Your call, your money!
Doug

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Definitely the Surefire. The Scorpion is decent, but it has its short comings.

First of all, it uses a bi pin bulb. These can and will become dislodged and pop out of the socket if the light is dropped on its bezel. Try digging it out after that. Another problem with the Scorpion is the rubber sleeve. It stretches over time and it prone to tears and can be easily split. Although the body is made of aluminum, the switch mechanism is made of plastic and is not very robust.

I know the Surefire LAs are expensive, but every time you change the LA, you are also changing the reflector too. The G2 is also tough. I guarantee you that the G2s plastic (polymer) body is less prone to damage than the Scorpion body is. There are also a great number of options for the Surefire lights.

I think the Surefire is just plain a better light.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would probably be more satisfying to own the surefire G2Z or E2e if you were willing to go up a couple of notches in quality and price. Some of it may depend on your personality too, if you really appreciate good craftsmanship, engineering, and made in USA; then surefire is your ticket. If you prefer getting the most while spending the least, Streamlight might be more your brand. But it also takes a little while to build up a collection and understand your preferences and uses. Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither!

If your new enough to ask that question I suggest you stick around a bit longer before spending hard earned bucks.

If you are really itching to buy something get a Streamlight TwinTask 2L.

Almost as bright as the G2 and scorpion, but has the advantage of 3 white leds for low power use. All metal, about the same size, strong as hell and a much better utility than the G2 or Scorpion.

After you've been here a while buy yourself a Surefire E2e.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i've played with both lights and i'd choose the G2. looks good, great price and i like to quote the surefire site
"lifetime no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it! "
you can changed the lamp and use the pila 3v lamp with the rechargeable 150s (i think thats the battery number. someone can correct me if i'm wrong)

i dont like the scorpions feel and look. i also hate the rubber\plastic smells.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned (or own) both, along with a Pelican M6, Dorcy Spyder and Brinkmann Maxfire and Maxfire Rechargeable.

I don't like the rubbery covering of the Scorpion... That alone would sway my decision. I really like the G2. Great light, very bright, lots of accessories but if you aren't likely to get the Surefire accessories, the Maxfire avaialable for $20 at Walmart is 95% of the light the G2 is at 60% the cost. It will use either cheap(er) Brinkmann lamps or can be upgraded to the Surefire P61 for higher output.

Actually, though I sold mine, if I had it to do over again, I would probably stick with the Pelican P6. A bit larger, but really feels like a quality piece. Great throw and I never had a lick of trouble with mine... Just thought it was too large at the time.

rikvee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhantomZ said:
you can changed the lamp and use the pila 3v lamp with the rechargeable 150s (i think thats the battery number. someone can correct me if i'm wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

it's the Pila/Wolfeyes 168s, which is the length of two CR123's, but only 3.7-4V
(the 150s, also 3.7-4V is the length of two CR2's, or 1 1/2 x CR123 )

The 168s can also be used in the Scorpion, when you use a lower voltage bulb from a Stinger or a Strion.

's' means Surefire, the 150A and 168A are thicker and used in the Mr Bulk LionHeart as well as Pila's own range of flashlights.

BTW the G2 has an even beam, since their globes come with the reflector they are perfectly positioned.
The Scorpion throws further, but has more artifacts.
Newer Scorpions are not really focusable either.

[ QUOTE ]
fivebyfive said:
If I was giving this as a gift it would be the scorpion because of the inexpensive replacement bulb. If I was buying this for myself it would definately be the G2 because of the accessories or options that it offers.

[/ QUOTE ]

spot on! (pardon the pun)

Shootmyeyeout

Newly Enlightened
I've progressed from the Scorpion, to the G2, and now to an E2. For daily use the E2(e) rules and is worth saving to acquire. The G2 with the P61 is my nightstand gun light while the Scorpion is a very good general purpose light.