Please help me build a dspeck FF.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read on here somewhere that you can now get all the part's
to build the fire~fly from the sandwhich shoppe.
Since i am having no luck with the search engine, and no matter what browser i use to acsess the SS, i can't get an idea with out pic's on all the part's needed, and how difficult it will be.
I have been wanting a small bright 1 or 3 watt
LED EDC to add to my tool kit. I love the ARC LSH-P, and want something in that form (or smaller!) feel free to mention what option's you think are important, and i tend to lean toward throw. much appreciated! VDG

cy

Flashaholic
Tuning the optic gives a beautiful beam. Almost good as Li14430's beam. Tuning two stage switch make the firefly reliable.

look in the dspeck thread to find instructions on how to tune firefly.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Tuning the optic gives a beautiful beam. Almost good as Li14430's beam. Tuning two stage switch make the firefly reliable.

look in the dspeck thread to find instructions on how to tune firefly.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks! does the NX0- and fraen come ready to go/drop in
from the SS? I don't mind tuning, just want it to work first
then start fine tuning thing's. VDG

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
voodoogreg - sorry for not chiming in earlier, but I hadn't looked at this forum for a couple of days.

There is a complete list of parts needed to build a Fire~Fly on the Shoppe, but here it is if you haven't seen it:

From the head end down:
-bezel aka bezel ring
-lens o-ring
-lens
-optic (of your choice) - they are already cut down for use in the FF
-head (the copper part) - comes with O-rings installed (larger on the bezel end, smaller on the body end of the head)
-sandwich of your choice
-retaining ring (or O-ring or thin retaining ring) {rings are AKA snap rings}
-body (either CR2 or standard CR123 body)
-appropriate battery
-2-stage switch if you want it - can be standard 16-ohm or can be 33-ohm (33-ohm switch gives very low LOW level)

The FF is noticeably narrower than the Arc-LS, which makes it easier to pocket. It's also much brighter on the standard BB650/LuxIII sandwich, but of course more drive current=less runtime - it's the usual tradeoff.

Just to throw another monkey-wrench in, you can also trim down an SO17XA reflector to fit the FF, and this does give a very nice beam, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The FF screws together (all except for the retaining ring - needs pliers), and you'll need a .050" hex-key if you want to install the 2-stage switch. If you just want one level, you don't even need that.

Hope this helps to make up your mind... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif