How to Dismantle a Q3 (pics)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just spent a few minutes with a pipe wrench, t-shirt and vise grip, trying to twist apart this Q3. No luck. Can someone please explain where it is suppose to some apart to access the LED etc. and how to go about doing it.

That's my Ombu X33 (Q3's Mother) next to it.
CIMG1277.jpg

CIMG1278.jpg

Robban

Enlightened
Talk about misleading title lol.

Oh well. The method I have heard about involves putting the light in a plastic bag and then boiling it for a couple of minutes in water. That will losen whatever it is that is holding it together enough so that you can twist it apart.

OZ

Newly Enlightened
You can also heat it up with a hair dryer for about 3-5 min.
Did it for me, no problems opening it up.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! boiling? And that doesn't harm the LED?

BTW where does it come apart at? I cant even see a seam.

PS Sorry for the title. If it bugs people, I can change it. But now that we have an answer, it's not so misleading eh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will update it with my results and a picture once I get it apart too.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I did the same thing with no damage to the LED. Remove the battery, pop the light in a ziplock bag and boil for about 5 minutes to loosen the epoxy. Then all you have to do is twist off the head (wearing gloves, of course!). If you also want to remove the reflector, you repeat the process by just boiling the head (bezel) in the ziplock bag for another 5 minutes. *Note* You'll need circlip or small lock-ring pliers to unscrew the reflector.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
BOY! Those lithiums sure do make a mess when they explode! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif <just kidding>
It was tricky getting it out from all the spaghetti in the pot, but once I pulled it out of the bag, it just twisted right apart. Using a towel of course. I noticed some residue around the threads and I'm still trying to clean that up, but more importantly, this is my first look at the inside of an LED flashlight! Thanks for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif