Mag-Lite suggests aftermarket LED mods

Trifler

Newly Enlightened
I've seen a couple of posts on here about how people have written to Mag-Lite and asked when they will have an LED version available with the reply "soon" and years have gone by. Well, I wrote them an e-mail asking the same thing, and they suggested I buy an LED modification from and aftermarket manufacturer for their lights. Hehe.

OZ

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Yeah, right.
Let's see......According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary a "trifler" is someone who "talks in a jesting or mocking manner or with intent to delude or mislead."

Well, Trifler? Are you trying to mislead us with your very first post on CPF?

vtunderground

Enlightened
How's he being misleading? When I wrote to MagLite and suggested that they make LED flashlights (among numerous other suggestions), the response I got suggested that I do an aftermarket LED upgrade. They gave me a link to a website that was selling Newbeam and Everled LEDs.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Interesting. When I emailed them about this they emphatically stated they considered LED technology still unreliable and had no plans for a LED-Mag. This sounds fishy (unless the rep is a fellow CPFer).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Maybe they get a cut (of certain LED drop-ins) in exchange for some vague form of approval, testing, certification, secret handshake, etc.

Remember that Mag (like most flashlight manufacturers) has a very profitable replacement-bulb business to defend. Also keep in mind that most of the population has some idea of what a LED is, but what they imagine is a 5mm LED that's nowhere near as bright as the average (smaller) bi-pin bulb. Most people I meet are simply amazed when they see a 3W LED... and again amazed when they hear "how much more than a maglite" that the average 3W LED light costs.