Need help with a non-functioning Arc LS board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a non-funtioning Arc LS board. It doesn't light up at all and I have no idea why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I figure I'd throw up a pic and see if anybody can help me out. Anybody have ideas of what I should do to try and fix this? Please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

arcboard1.jpg
arcboard2.jpg

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
close ups would help.
did you try to run it outside the head?
try attaching it to a pair of aa c or d cells with clipleads.
the - side goes to the big gold trace on top and/or the ring on the bottom.
+ of couse goes to the center button.
if you cant figure it out i can repair it.
was it dropped bezel down?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about that. I'm working with a scanner here. My brother broke my camera and I can't afford a new one right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't know where my money goes!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Anyway, here's a another shot; higher resolution and blown up more. Unfortunately it has that weird green reflection thing on the upper left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ArcBIG2ndtry.jpg

BTW, yes I tried it outside the head; I did it with a cr123. Tried again with a pair or AA alkalines after you sugested it, still nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It wasn't dropped as far as I remember, but I won't say it never hit anything.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a board with ls low dome. The diode doesn't look like it's soldered clean and the inductor looks saturated with flux. Where did you get it?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
might be able to touch up the joints on the diode.
looks like it may have been replaced before due to excess solder on the ground ring near it and the poor appearance of the joints.
and all the inductors have the grey stuff.
it is rtv not flux.
if you have a fine tip iron you could carefully try it .if not you can send it here.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this a long time ago, before Arc closed. I'm just now getting around to trying to save this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Yes it is a low dome, how the heck can you tell? from the scan?

I guess I'll be picking up a fine tip thing for my soldering iron on Monday. The diode is the thing with three red dots, right? I'll try adding a little solder to it. Yes, I want to try it myself first. If I mess it up too badly, I'll send it in for expert help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks guys!

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
I got this a long time ago, before Arc closed. I'm just now getting around to trying to save this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Yes it is a low dome, how the heck can you tell? from the scan?

[/ QUOTE ]

early low dome's die area looks like round yellow spot. High domes's die look like a small square. 5 watt's die area looks like four small squares, making a larger square.

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Sinjz said

I guess I'll be picking up a fine tip thing for my soldering iron on Monday. The diode is the thing with three red dots, right? I'll try adding a little solder to it. Yes, I want to try it myself first. If I mess it up too badly, I'll send it in for expert help.

The three red dots is the coil. The diode would be the black resistor like thingy below the R15 resistor.

If resoldering the joints of all the components don't work, try re-soldering the joints of the low dome lux, while your'e at might as well check if it works first, I use a 3led dorcy light as boost just to check if the luxeon is good or not. positive of the luxeon would be the terminal closest to the LT1618 chip.

good luck

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
while you have it apart and are fixing it you should upgrade the low dome emitter to a t ranked high dome

and install a reflector and a ucl glass lens

Status
Not open for further replies.