Rechargables for LED flashlights

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I'm submitting my question to the LED board because I am interested in rechargables soley to use in LED flashlights.

Its been many years since I've fooled around with rechargables. I looking for AA rechargables. When I went to Costco/Sams/Walmart, I was overwhelmed with the new technologies and different types of rechargables. Can someone please tell me exactly what type batteries and chargers to get for AAs? I'm not worried about the initial costs, just want to make sure I'm getting the right equipment and right "type" of rechargables.

I'll be using the rechargables in UK 4AA, Streamlight Jr., the new Costco 2AA flashlights I just got, and a whole variety of other 1AA and 4AA flashlight like the Sears/Dorcy/Turtle. Also, will the rechargables blow out LED bulbs more than Alkies? More or less than lithiums? I am guessing that anything I can us lithiums with I can probably use rechargables in?

lamperich

Enlightened
The answer isn´t as easy as it seems.
The problems are the hugh luxeon, driver and akku variantes.

Luxeon Vf bin.
driver- most times there aren´t datasheets available. (INPUT VOLTAGE CURRENT VS OUTPUT V/A
akkus they have/different capacites and if you don´t train it they become lazy. (=drops the voltage and the ability to deliver high currents (that already begins at 500mA.)

Also, will the rechargables blow out LED bulbs more than Alkies? Yes but only if the Voltages at the Led is over the limit of the Vf.

More or less than lithiums?
no and yes. at 600 mA yes. But if it´ -20^ than the voltage isn´t 1,4V anymore.
http://www.ife.ee.ethz.ch/~zinniker/batak/ideal/all600large.gif

I am guessing that anything I can us lithiums with I can probably use rechargables in?
Yes but everythink can be overdriven in a way but it dont like it very much.
Look at the Maglite 6 cell. Many complains about blowen bulb when they drop in fresh D cells.
Here you find the reason. http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/e95.pdf

I think that´s the reason why Maglite arent sells led´s because the can´t grantat a good standard!
And when you buy an Surfire LED flashlight unfortunately you play the luxeon lottery, too

I think there shoud be someone you selects LEd´s like Fritz does it with NiMH Accus. www.accu-select.de

I just bought new Sanyo 2300 NimH Akkus and tested it in the At3 charger and unfortunately the strongest accu has 2,38Ah and the weakest 2,17Ah.

The At3 discharge with only ca. 450mA at 1,2V

Unfortunately you i and i think everyone on this world wants the perfect combination but you won´t get it. Maybe you can come close to that. I think if an manufactur says you shoudn´t use NIMH or Lithium than you shoudn´t go for them.

Sorry for may bad english... ;-)