Anyone Modded a "touchlight" with LED?

rdshores

Enlightened
Anyone Modded a \"touchlight\" with LED?

Has anyone replaced the bulb in a touchlight with a LED and maybe a regulator circuit?
This is the type of light I'm talking about:

3a_1_b.jpg

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone Modded a \"touchlight\" with LED?

Yes,

They make a good emergency or tent lights.

moonlt1.jpg

You just need to add some aluminum for the heatsinking. I've got several around the house and they get used a lot.

moonlt2.jpg

I found two kinds of tap lights; 3V and 6V. It's just how they are wired inside and what bulb gets put in them. The 3V ones need a converter, but then you also get the constant light where a 6V with resistor just slow dims over time.

Makes a nice little mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rdshores

Enlightened

Thanks....I should have known lambda would have done this...is there nothing he hasn't modded? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
I've got some 180 degree 8mm LEDs somewhere I was thinking of using for this. Maybe put the LM334 circuit in there too.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I recently picked up 5 GE touchlights that take 4AA and have a circuit that turns if off after 1 minute I plan to make into LED versions. I figured out that if I add capacitance to the circuit I can increase on time as much as I want. The circuit looks like it uses a 555 timer to drain off the cap and shut down.

rdshores

Enlightened

I purchased a 4-pack (Emerson ETL680 ONE TOUCH ) because I needed one to use as a difusser in my homemade Lumen box. Now I don't know what to do with the other three except mod them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

since most touchlights use 0.5A bulbs if you used 6 white LEDs at 20ma it should run well over 4 times as long as you can get useful light out of them well under 5ma each. You can also use partially depleted AAs in them with a dummy cell or nearly depleted cells in direct drive. I may put a *find me* red blinking led in one of mine for power outages.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have used amber spider LEDs in a couple. resistored to 70mA when on, and a resistor across the switch to limit current to 20uA. Just enough glow to find it in the dark. And decientally bright when on.
Jeff