UK Police reflective material

GlowWorm

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum...

What is the silver/grey reflective material that UK Police use on their clothing? Reflects as a bright white light. Very impressive. I'm looking for ankle/wrist bands and a Sam-Browne style belt, with this reflective.

I was wondering if these Respro bands use the Police reflective - they use a Scotchlite material.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check a bicycle shop, they often have ankle bands and other reflective materials to make sure bicyclists are seen at night.

GlowWorm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Double A, but I've only seen those retailers selling the usual fluorescent yellow reflective (by 3M etc.). I'm curious about the Police silver/grey version, which I'm sure, out-performs the usual retailed stuff.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
might want to check police supply places. they might have a reflective belt but i dont know about wrist/ankle straps. another alternative is to buy a roll of relfective fabric and make your own

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get ribbons of various widths w/ reflective stripe at any fabric store. You can sew them on to clothes or just tie them on.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to find large (3X4) 3M Scotchlite stick ons from from a boating store. The adhesive is made to adhere to pfds' (personal floatation devices). I've got 3 on my favorite wind breaker.

chiphead

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
I believe you are referring to a rubberized silver coating that is impregnated with Scotchlite beads. I don't know the source of the actual material, but there are many sources for tape materials or pre-made samples such as http://www.roadid.com/brightgear.asp .

If you want to experiment, you could try a web search for reflective beads. There are several companies that make reflective glass beads - typical use is to apply a paint and then shake the beads over the surface using a salt shaker. You could try the same with something like clothing paint, but I don't know how well it would work.