Has anyone modded a solitaire like this?

Everett

Newly Enlightened
8.JPG

i had this idea after i modded my solitaire but had problems making the switch mechanism work. this way would keep mag's original switch.

a 5mm led is plugged in where the bulb is (and the reflector bored out). the spring, spare bulb, and metal piece are removed from the tailcap (there really is a LOT of room in there). a voltage boost circuit is put into the form of a cylinder with springs on the ends (outlined in red). the threads on the tailcap must be scraped to make contact with the body tube.

i was about to start this one when i realized that the modified dorcy circuit i've been using can't just be put in series with the battery and the LED. is there a boost circuit that can?

here's the circuit i've been using. to put it in this way, i'd need to run a wire up inside next to the battery, and there's not much room.
9.JPG

does anybody know of a way to do it?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put the battery in backwards and switch the LED around to accomodate the polarity change...

Never mind; I just remembered the Dorcy needs access to the battery ground also. You'd still need to run a wire.

So my final answer in 'NO'.

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Just a base idea, but if you need to run a wire up to the + of the battery how about some kind of flexible sleeve/circuit board? I fix auto's for a living and I know that on older vehicles behind the instrument cluster is usually a flexible pcb. Basically it's a copper circuit sandwiched between some clear green plastic sheets. You could make a cylindrical sleeve, with the top encasing the battery. On the inside a contact for the battery +, and on the outside contacts for the led + and -.
Anyway, just a thought.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking i could use a flat ribbon cable if i can find something that works. i would switch the battery around and then have the cable touch the negative contact on top (while letting the negative contact also touch the switch).

Latest posts