Literal LED mod lotsa pics

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, for starters, I got some 1W cyan emitters off ebay a while ago. I put 1 in a 3AAA flashlight. I have been wanting to put 1 in a dorcy AAA, but the emitters are low dome and dont work well with any cut down optics, and a reflector would be too small. SO I modded the LED. I sanded and polished the surface of the emitter to make it flat. I then took an old 10mm red LED and cut it right at the piont where the die was, then I sanded it flat and polished it. I also used some pc board to make a base for it.
IMAG0000.JPG

I then used clear epoxy to glue the dome of the 10mm LED on top of the flattened emitter.
IMAG0001.JPG

Running at about 30mA you can see how the emitter die is focused.
IMAG0002.JPG

All the components mounted together. After I took this I potted the lower pard with epoxy mixed with thermal compound to help with the heat.
IMAG0003.JPG

This is powered DD from 3x 1/4AAA NiCd 110mAH batteries.
IMAG0004.JPG

With the batteries fresh off the charger, it was pulling 500mA. This is next to my other modded dorcy AAA with a 20,000mcd led (about twice as bright as a stock).
IMAG0005.JPG

I was not concerned with runtime, I just wanted to see if it would work. Most of the light seems to come out the front, very little from the back.

Jeff

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

Prices of mini optics versus this?

Looks like we have a new winner here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nice! How "cyan" is your cyan? Just wondering if anyone else has stumbled upon true cyan colored cyans besides me lately?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a LUX III from the shoppe a while ago, ant it was more green. I really like the cyan color of some 5mm I have. These LUX I's were from ebay, someone bought a partial reel and is selling them off. I got 7 total, about 1.60 each with s/h. These are about half way between green and the cyan 5mm that were out there. nice color, especially when over driven.
Jeff

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
That's nice! How "cyan" is your cyan? Just wondering if anyone else has stumbled upon true cyan colored cyans besides me lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too man me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I really NEED a can Lux III and I would order a particular bin if I knew what that bin was ! Looking for a super bright Cyan Lux III. Anyone? Anyone? Will trade for a TWOK???? anyone? :p Nice mod BTW! thats definately a high dome now heh

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a _small_ personal stash of S2JC luxIII I came across. It's not pure blueish cyan, but it's very far from greenish cyan. 505nm. It's hard to tell what it really is, but contrast is awesome! I can almsot see all colors under it!!