First post, seek buying advice (Arc ls/KL1)

grift

Enlightened
hi and thnks for all the great informative, and interesting posts. ive been reading the boards for months now and finally broke down and ordered me a Arc AAA LE yesterday
grin.gif
i've been trying to avoid getting into this flashlight buying addictive persona by only reading about all the cool lights and telling myself they are still too dang expensive. i came to realize a LONG time ago i have an addictive, obsessive, personality that sometimes gets my wallet into trouble
rolleyes.gif

anyways it seems that well now that the buying has begun i want to get me another sweet light. i'm an electrician and sometimes need light in crawl spaces and attics to see what im doing. i'm looking for a small compact light i can carry in my pocket that will be bright w/decent runtime. i've narrowed it to a few choices and this is where i need the real flashaholics advice
winkie.GIF

choices:

ARC LS hybrid
Surefire E1e w/KL1
surefire E2e w/KL1
or wait for the ARC LS2 rev2

remember im looking for brightness, compactness for carry, runtime, and cost of operating the light.

thnks for any advice.
Eritt

WaltH

Enlightened
I've seen several seconds and a first. I have to disagree with GJW. Let's also look at the application of the light. What distance do you need to get out of it? Any waterproof requirements?
If you read the KL1 posts on this board there are a fair number that dislike the blueish tint of it. I don't happen to be one of them but you need to weigh that as well. It's true you can get adapters made to use the KL1 with AA's but then it doesn't match...consider that

I think the KL1 is a great light and enjoy the one I have but for your application I would still suggest the LS2.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
$75 for an SLS that could be bright or not, well focused or not, nicely anodized or not, and could range in color from bright white all the way to dim yellow. Runs on 1x123 lithium or 2xAA.

versus

$89 - $120 for an LS1. Nicely anodized and bright but color variation from blue/white to mint green. Runs on 1x123 lithium.
Add $20 for 2xAA capability.

versus

$40 for a KL1 with a consistently bright bluish/white light with nice anodizing.
Add $30 for a Scorpion body (2x123).
Add $45 for an E1 body (1x123).
Add $60 for an E2 body (2x123).
Add $30-$50 for a homemade body (various battery configs).

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
I second that - get them all if you can.
smile.gif

Otherwise, I would suggest the E2e+Kl1. If you can spend ~$100 bucks on a flashlight I'm pretty sure you could afford the 123s. If the batteries are a concern, you could get an Arc with the 2AA pack, like others have said.

The E2e because the built in clip would be handy for crawling around attics and such. The Arc you would have to holster or put inside a pocket.

However, if you need to light a large area while you're working, the Arc is best because it stands on it's end for 'candle mode'.

grift

Enlightened
thnks for the help guys.

i just saw down in the arc section that sean ordered an ls from arc website yesterday and when it arrived today it was the new version that is waterproof etc. so i went and ordered one asap and they seem to have still been in stock. cant wait
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imho-GJW's comparative analysis gets my nod, for the goods that are available right now..
icon15.gif
icon14.gif

Added: further operational savings can be had by using the newly available 1/3"A" Nimh cells.

Termac

Newly Enlightened
The comparative analysis in the post above is long on dollar comparisons but very short on feature comparisons. For instance, if you absolutely don't want a gigantic sensi-ribbed hex nut in your pocket, the new Arc LS is for you!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Termac:
The comparative analysis in the post above is long on dollar comparisons but very short on feature comparisons. For instance, if you absolutely don't want a gigantic sensi-ribbed hex nut in your pocket, the new Arc LS is for you!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK, but what about that clickie switch (included in the price) on the Scorpion barrel, as well as on the SF-Ex?
wink.gif
It was my impression that it's extra cost on the LS (as it's offered right now).

Termac

Newly Enlightened
Re: First post, seek buying advice (Arc ls/KL1) *DELETED*

Post deleted by softhackle

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Termac:
For instance, if you absolutely don't want a gigantic sensi-ribbed hex nut in your pocket, the new Arc LS is for you!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not true at all....
Just get an E1/E2 instead of an E1e/E2e.
grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Arc LS (first's are usually brighter than seconds, but not always) is the way to go if you want to be able to run 2 AA NiMH rechargeables. With the 123 battery it is smaller than the Surefire E1/KL1.
Plus, if you buy direct from Arc, they are now selling the LS1 rev2. This is suppose to be water resistant and is a one piece unit that seems to be built better. (I just got one today). See Pics

The Surefire E1/KL1 is very good too, they usually run a little brighter than the Arc LS but the Arc LS (the current 400mA version) will run longer on a set of batteries. So pick your poison.

I like them both.

WaltH

Enlightened
Cost of running the light eliminates the Surefire choices in my opinion. The 123 batteries are too expensive. If it were me I'd go for the ARC LS hybrid. It has approximately the same brightness of the E2e with the KL1 head...but it runs on AA's rather than 123's. I might also suggest an ARC-LS Second if they're still available. Much less expensive and Peter's idea of seconds are still very high quality.

Good Luck

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't recommend the Arc seconds only because they're a crap-shoot.
I've had 3 and none of them were what I'd consider to be acceptable beam quality.
The AA batteries is a small plus for the Arc but you can find adapters right here in CPF that will allow the same with the KL1.
My advice would be the KL1 with a Streamlight Scorpion (half the cost of an E2) or else the KL1 with one of the homemade AA battery adapters.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sean:
if you buy direct from Arc, they are now selling the LS1 rev2. This is suppose to be water resistant and is a one piece unit that seems to be built better. (I just got one today). See Pics
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Unless Arc has officially and *explicity* announced that they will NOT shipping anything except LS1 rev2 for that moment it's still possible Arc will ship you a hybrid on next order. Annoucement of starting shipping newer version doesn't mean they will NOT ship one version older during transition period.

Alan

grift

Enlightened
dang it alan i been excited and my arc shipped today. i just assumed it would be the LS1 Rev2.

The LS1 rev2 will be offered as a preview initially for $120. This includes the head unit and the switchless 123 pack. Once the design is qualified, it will be offered more widely. Qualification typically takes a month.

I will be checking the CPF regularly until Saturday and then will be on vacation until the 31st. Mike and Dawn have been instructed to ship the LS1 rev2 preview as soon as it ready.

Peter Gransee
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hopefully that means that they are now ready and shipping
icon15.gif
when ya think about it that would mean Peter figured they would be ready and shipping BEFORE he returned at the end of month
smile.gif
<crossing fingers>

Eritt

Termac

Newly Enlightened
Re: First post, seek buying advice (Arc ls/KL1) *DELETED*

Post deleted by softhackle