GPS basemap questions

Stefan

Enlightened
I am hoping you fellow GPS users could help me out. I am thinking of getting an eTrex Legend, and I'm wondering how detailed the default basemap is for mapping. I know some of you might point me to getting a Vista (has more memory, I know), but I don't really travel too much, so would only need minimum coverage to load a city.

I already have a Garmin Forerunner, but the mapping functions are making me interested. Any thoughts?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the left hand side of the Garmin product page, you can find a typed description of base map data:
Legend for Canada

[ QUOTE ]
The standard map coverage includes:

1. Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)
2. Principal cities and many smaller cities and towns
3. Major interstates and principal highways
4. Political boundaries (state and international borders)

Canada - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

1. Lakes greater than 5 square miles (Southern Canada)
2. Lakes greater than 10 square miles (Central Canada)
3. Railroads

[/ QUOTE ]

You can go to Garmins Cartography web site and use a viewer to look at their map data (unfortunately, Garmin does not seem have a viewer available for the base data sets of their mapping units). The World Map viewer seems to be roughly equivalent to what my data set shows for much of Canada (excluding a few major cities):

Garmin Cartography

I would really suggest (if you budget supports it) that you look at the new color units (much easier to read the maps) and which also have 3x more memory, faster processor, USB support, twice the battery life and support auto-routing of trips. But at twice the price.

The routable map data is about $110. With the map data you can look up addresses on both units, but, on the newer color units, have the GPS automatically plan your route and give your turn by turn directions as you drive--pretty neat!

You did not say where you live or travel--so I don't know how much memory you will need. In large metropolitan areas you will probably need more storage...For example, just one map tile (how Garmin organizes their map data) for San Francisco/Oakland/San Mateo/Hayward/Berkeley/Concord area is 7 MBytes--will just fit in an 8 MByte Etrex Legend (does not include the western sliver of SF--map tiles do not always bracket a whole city and you may need to load a minimum of two tiles to contain the region/city you are interested in).

If you are only planing on using it in Alberta--my older map data allows me to load the entire southern Alberta Province (coverage, at best is only ~60 miles north of Calgary) in only 3 MBytes. The only city that had any city street level mapping was Calgary (that I could quickly find--the newer data set does appear to have better coverage of Alberta--the newer data sets will be larger--but you should still be able to fit much of your needs even in a smaller unit's memory)... Check the Garmin Cartography site for the various map sets and see which one works better for you (for example, perhaps a Canadian Topo map may list more roads--probably unnamed--in your region--but Topo maps generally don't support auto-routing on Garmins--but you can load both types of maps, if you have the room, and switch between them--depending on which is more useful).

The older back and white hand held maybe sort of useful in a city--but it will be difficult to use/see while driving. Also the newer units support USB (probably only on a windows PC) which gives much faster downloads than the serial links on the older units.

Of course, in the end, it is really up to you what you need and wish to pay. After reviewing the data sets for Canada--it may be very true that autorouting may not be of much use for you in your local area and the more expensive units would only help you if you traveled in Calgary (or Edmonton and some points west of Calgary) or if you purchased Topo or other maps for your area.

-Bill

Stefan

Enlightened
Here is my situation. I live in Edmonton, and mostly travel the city itself by way of a hand trike (a three wheeled bicycle, pedals propelled by arm power ). Looking at what is available from stores, its possibly $220 for the eTrex Legend itself, plus an additional $140 for the software. From what I see it would be difficult to affix the unit to the bike so it is visible.

My forerunner does what I at first had in mind. It came down to my old cycling computer the battery was super weak and needed changing. By doing so I lost all information that was stored in the unit, including the most important wheel circumference setting (not to mention I lost the manual for the computer too). Longer story short, I now use GPS for a speedometer, and to analyze the information when I get home.

Unless I actually see a working demo of the unit to see if its what I'm looking for, I might settle for the simpler route of carrying a folding road map of the city.

DaGeek

Enlightened
The Legend is nice definetly a nice buy. Its base is alright but as a owner of multiple mapsource apps it leaves something to be desired.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any Megellan units--but from what I have read they may have larger "track" memories that are stored in the removable memory cards (in general, the Garmins only store maps in their memory cards). You may wish to look at their products.

In the end, since map data is vendor specific, you should review each vendor's map data for your area to decide.

As always, here is the best place to start looking for GPS information.

For mounting, look at RAM mounts--seem to be very popular and strong.

-Bill