Don't ya just hate ice storms?

K A

Enlightened
Don\'t ya just hate ice storms?

Freezing rain came through the area Tuesday night (Jan 4) and caused lots of downed tree limbs and power lines. We are still without power ourselves but a neighbor let us hook up a power cord to their generator. So now we have heat and power for a while. And internet for a bit while I run my computer to post this and pictures. I am HAPPILY paying for gas to help run the generator. Dad came by this morning (Saturday the 8th) to splice some power into a gas furnace to heat up the house. Yay! Thank god for gas stoves and gas water heaters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hopfully the power crews will be out soon to fix the power.

Most of the block has power except our little section that runs off the transformer behind our house. The high power transmission line looks untouched but a limb cut one of the feeder lines off the transformer.

I got a few pictures of the ice coated trees down our street. Some trees were tore in half or simply had all their limbs tore off due to the weight of the ice! Pictures are here.

Wylie

Enlightened
Re: Don\'t ya just hate ice storms?

Ssshhhhhh, don't say them words! I have all electric heat and the near by mountains have been forecasted to have up to 36 inches of snow! A couple more inches an hour yesterday and I would have seen a blizzard.

A couple years back I was living in Missouri and we had those things you have mentioned. I do really hate them.

Mums the word!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Here in central NC we seem to get more ice storms than snow storms. Of course, that means maybe two per season. It really gets people excited since there's not a lot of snow and ice removal gear in the towns. It's not too unusual for the schools to be closed for three or four days when the ice hits.

Geoff

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had one of those kind of storms the week before Christmas. I spent Christmas eve fixing and cleaning up the mess. Here's what happened

http://www.ninefamily.com/images/im002234-640x480.jpg
http://www.ninefamily.com/images/im002235-640x480.jpg

(you can take off the -640x480 for a bigger pic)
I didn't loose power though. We didn't get any sleep that night every few minutes we would hear a crash from something falling, then about 4:00 we finally fell asleep I got up at 6 like normal and connected to the company VPN to see if they had closed the office. While I was working my neighbor knocked on the door and told me my electric line was laying in the year.

K A

Enlightened

Still without power Sunday night (the 9th). City crews did come down the street and cut up limbs and stack them on the curb to get cleaned up later. Hopefully that means the power crews will be here Monday (hopefully!)

JOshooter

Enlightened

There's a nastry blizzard up on the Northern slope right now, the people are huddled inside a school to keep warm. No power, no heating...

K A

Enlightened

We just got power back on this afternoon ourselves. So I deffinately feel for those people.

Latest posts