Binned Luxeons

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Does anyone know of a place that sells binned luxeons. I want the brightest possible. Also, when are the lambertain 1w white luxeons going to be available?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to a recent post, they just order the luxeons and get whatever bin they happen to get...

So...if you order 5 1w whites, will they all come from the same bin? Or is it completely random? I could see a market for these modders who buy Luxeons in large quantities to sell the good binned Luxeons individually for a premium.

I've also been meaning to ask the same about Nichia LEDs. Can you request certain binning? Or is it just a random thing to get a b1s or b2s?

That reminds me, I really need to head on over to Nichia one of these days and find out if they sell over the counter. Maybe I can convince them to give me a sample selection...
wink.gif

Mark

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think NiChia uses the "S" on the end of the part number to represent "selected"

I am working with another new LED company to get some 7000mcd samples - stay tuned

Mike
www.inretech.com

McGizmo

Flashaholic
With Nichia,

It depends on how many LED's you buy. The bag them in bags of 100 and 500. If you buy 20 LED's you will get whatever the bin is from the bag that they have open. If you buy thousands of them, you may get bags of different bins but then again maybe not. I have bought 5000 at a time and they are always of the same bin and lot.

Regarding the S, in the number the S after the b1 or b2 is an indication of brightness rank with the S being the highest color rank abvailable in the states. The b1 and b2 refer to color rank. The BS ( no pun intended) in NSPW500BS refers to the type of leads; in this case PCB stops.

Mike,

I believe those LED's were mentioned a month or two ago here on the forum. If they're the LED that I'm thinking of, I believe the beam angle is narrower than the NSPW500BS and the actual total light output will be less than the Nichia. The S rank Nichia has a typical output of 8000 mcd with a min of 6800 and max of 9500 and this is with a 2X theta 1/2 of 20 degrees.

- Don

EDIT: Regarding the binning of Luxeons, as I understand it, Lumiled does mark their bulk packaging with bin information. Future does not sell to the casual user by bin identification and their own part numbers and labeling do not contain the bin information. If you buy in bulk, you can determin what bin clasification you have received but you can't order or request product by bin classification. I do believe if you are a large player, bin selection is a possibility.