Inova X5T: Brightest colour?

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I recently got myself a X5T with white LED's and am very impressed considering the alleged runtime. I'm so impressed I'm thinking these lights would make great Christmas gifts for members of my family.

My question: Out of the available LED colours, which one would give the brightest light? I know different colours adapt to different situations, but for your basic "seeing as much as possible in the dark" which would you recommend?

Thanks,
Hellz

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the blue one, but I tell you I really enjoy the effect of that light on fluorescent materials. Not only does it give a bright light for general viewing, it has that little extra fun bonus. I even bought some fluorescent orange paint for marking valuable things (e.g., other lights!) that might get dropped in the woods.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Hellz:
for your basic "seeing as much as possible in the dark" which would you recommend?

Thanks,
Hellz
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">White

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about amber, I somehow feel that it's darker and brighter at the same time. I have a a amber camera lens and when I place it over my lights, it gives me that strange feeling.... anyone ever felt it?

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
Green seems the brightest to me, although you get some rings that you don't get with white.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nerd - The first time I put on a pair of those "Blue Blocker" type sunglasses...took a little getting used to, but were they great for driving! I don't own any amber/orange lights though. I'd like to see one. Oh wait, I'll throw an amber filter on my E2E and check it out. Doh!

sotto - love the paint idea!

Harri

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Sigman:
Nerd - The first time I put on a pair of those "Blue Blocker" type sunglasses...took a little getting used to, but were they great for driving!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Getting off-topic here sorry.. maybe this has already been talked about elsewhere, but...

Why is that you see better when you are driving with glasses that block blue color?

Maybe because blue scatters around in the air more than other colors (just look at the distant mountains - they're behind a blue "haze"). Or maybe the eye can not perceive blue as accurately as other colors.
I don't know about that latter one, but I started to think about that when I compared blue ASP led against much dimmer red LED from Victorinox. The ASP was more brighter, but I could not see the stuff as clearly as I saw with the red LED. And this was at close range - not mountains far away.

What do you guys think? And how does this translate to the LED lights that we have? Comparing blue X5T to white might be unfair, because the first is really achromatic where as the white has many wave lengths. But what about white led against SureFire or Scorpion (at least Scorpion has very "white" light to my eye)? After all the white led peaks at blue and has quite much less red in it... Any difference in clarity?

I don't know... just wondering...

Harri

Zephyr

Enlightened
Me and my dad just recently bought white Inova X5-T for each of us and we really like it a lot. It's fairly bright and the white beam helps alot in terms of better color and depth renditions at night. The green might appear brighter to the eye because our eyes are more sensitive to green and blue colors. I did own an Inova X5-T with blue LEDs but returned it due to the rings and circles that the blue LED produces. Inova X5T with white LEDs is I think the most useful, all around LED flashlight you can get.

ZEPH

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had X5Ts in white and green, and currently have X5s in white and blue. To me the white is best if you need to see things the exact colors they are up close, but I was not impressed with the output of the white X5T for the size and weight.

The blue has the greatest "oh @#$#%#$# that is bright" factor, but makes it much harder to figure out colors sometimes and beam quality is, well, almost like looking at a mosaic. If I use the blue to walk up the driveway of my friends house on a dark night, he knows that I am approaching because he can see the blue easily thorough his curtains. The blue does make some things glow, but I find that my purple Photon makes more things glow, brighter.

My favorite is the green. It is brighter than the white but does not stun your eyes like the blue can, and once you get used to it does not shift colors so far that you can't get a good idea what they 'are'.

After playing with the X5 and the X5T, I have to say that I prefer the slimmer profile of the Original to the fatter but tail switch equipped Tactical. I can drop the X5 in my back pocker next to my ID carrier and notebook and completely forget that it is there.