"Pocket size 1W - Luxeon 1W LED" @ GoldenGadgets

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
\"Pocket size 1W - Luxeon 1W LED\" @ GoldenGadgets

Hi All,

While considering the ALX-1113A (quite extensively discussed elsewhere on CPF, and which is sold as a NiteStar on GG) as a gift for a non-flashaholic, I noticed this 1W, 1 x CR123 model (designation: S1703) on the GG website for $29.99. It looks to have a 20mm reflector and an aluminum body.

S1704_short.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this light?
Is it a 'Nuwai' (since the often OEM lights), though no make is listed?
Is it regulated?
How's the build?
How's the clicky?

Thanks.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Pocket size 1W - Luxeon 1W LED\" @ GoldenGadgets

[ QUOTE ]
Canuckle said:I noticed this 1W, 1 x CR123 model (designation: S1703) on the GG website for $29.99. It looks to have a 20mm reflector and an aluminum body.

[/ QUOTE ]

HINT: if you're not in an absolute hurry - you may find the S1703 sold by GoldenGadgets for $19.99 with $8 shipping - on eBay (listing) - the trick is to win as the only bidder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You might also want to look at their S1801 - compact and bright - I may have been lucky getting one with a pretty good beam both in color as well as smoothness -

S1801 1w Luxeon 1xCR123 (link)

S1801_size.jpg

and a perhaps not such a "silly" comparison beamshot with the Streamlight Scorpion Xenon 2x CR123 -
S1801ScorpionBeam.jpg

(no it's not deja vu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif - I have just posted about this in another thread)

billgr

Newly Enlightened

thanks for the link to your review of the s1801....been looking for an inexpensive 123 and now i think i've found it

that review is awesome....all those beam shots really helped me make a good buying decision

Bill

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
billgr said:been looking for an inexpensive 123 and now i think i've found it

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for you kind comments Bill.

a couple of other hints -

You can save yourself all of $1 by being the only (starting) bid for a S1802 for $19.99 on eBay with $8 shipping..........

Aluminum Luxeon Star 1W LED Flashlight S1801 (0 bids)

edit to add - note there may be a disadvantage to this lower price - since the shipping is $8 - any disputes and "refunds" may exclude this amount - whereas at the GoldenGadgets.com site the shipping is $4, but the "price" is $24.99

It may only be a long shot - but in the comments when placing an order I wrote this:
"Please check the flashlight -
as I would like to avoid the green tint beam color and flickering/bad contact as reported on CPF (CandlePower Forums). "
(you can add any other features that may be important to you like beam smoothness, ringyness etc.)

They may well have ignored it - but I can't see how it does any harm -
and since I am very pleased with my S1801 - they could well have taken note of it.

fleshlite

Banned

I have one of these S1703, that I had ordered from GG, they had send me the S1801 by mistake. The light was good but I wanted the S1703. I called them and told them I did not want to have to send it back and then wait for the correct item, so they allowed me to go to their office to exchange the item. The S1801 is nice but the body finish is too slippery for me and the S1703 also had a good light tint. I find that it was also shorter than the S1801.

junior

Enlightened

Not to take from this post, but i live really close to goldengadgets.com and was hoping to save on shipping and buy some stuff for a possible group buy for CPF, but i read on their website that they do not allow personal pickups. They stated it was a "security" situation.......

Heck, even the Big Surefire alows pickups......

Heck, i have an eBaystore and i alow pickups.....

very interesting......

anyhow, sorry to take from this post

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

what was the beam like between the two? which had more throw? both look like a cool light's, but I wouldn't want a
big wall of light and no throw. VDG

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
fleshlite said:I find that it was also shorter than the S1801.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.....
for a long time GoldenGadgets.com had the sizes of the S1703 and S1801 to be identical in the specifications -
I was not able to get a reply from GoldenGadgets to which was smaller from two inquiries
however cpf member davidfromitaly posted that the S1801 was smaller (one of my main decision criteria) -
GoldenGadgets now give -

S1703 - Product Size 3 3/4" (length) x 1 1/4" (diameter) - Net Weight 3.0 oz.

S1801 - Product Size 3 3/8" (length) x 1" (diameter) - Net Weight 2.25 oz.

Have they got it wrong?