NEW L1 Lumimax - Anybody have any details?!

Flashdark

Enlightened
Does anyone have any details about the NEW L1 Lumimax!? Surefire was rumored to be changing the head to something different (LuxIII/high-dome?). Hopefully, they will also do something about the miniscule output of the "low" setting - .7 lumens of marginal output (but great for 50 hrs. duration).

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new L1 direct from Surefire. It came with the lanyard attached, and from its maximum brightness and the current draw from the single CR123 (700 mA) I'm pretty sure it is a high dome LuxIII, though a bit underdriven. The output is almost certainy closer to 30 lumens than to the specified 15 lumens on high. And it is the whitest of all my LED lights - including the TWOJ in my Q3.

Low is still pretty dim. I do wish it were a little brighter on low, but the long runtime is nice.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Blinded,

If that's the case, it sounds like all they did was change the head to the LuxIII/high-dome. That should make it throw better on "high" (which was a lot like the old KL1), but I don't know what it will do to the power of the "low" setting. Also, my "low" setting" has a sickly purple tint and needs an F04 on the front to "flood it out".

redcar

Enlightened
I have a few of the older L1's and at least for some of us the low setting is perfect. Just enough to see where you're going but not enough to kill your night vision or wake your wife up.

Does this new L1 'look' any different? I heard the bezel was going to closely resemble the KL4 bezel.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1 isn't the "New" version if there is to be a substantial change. It has the same bezel as the picture on the Surefire site (though it is slightly scalloped).

Toons

Newly Enlightened
I have the older version L1 and agree with Red Car that the low setting is very usefull. Stealthy and greatly extends runtime in case you forget to pack extra 123's (never happens to me <vbg>).For a higher low would'nt the L2 be the emitter of choice? Red Car asked this one way but, can you clarify is the head longer on the new L1 Blinded?
Thanks, Toons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy

Flashaholic
I've got one of the new L1, it has a 3watt and is driven slightly harder. If I remember correctly from 350 milliamps to aprox. 420 milliamps.

don't think you will tell much difference in brightness. which luxeon factors in greater than this little current diff.

my old L1 was brighter than new 3watt L1.

Latest posts