Why?

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if any of you have come across something like this, but I've noticed that most overweight people tend to be nasty to others. Why is that? Does it make them feel better about themselves? Do they feel that others have to be miserable because they are?

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
Havin a bad day Luminous? Think that a whole class of people is out to make you feel miserable? Hope things are better for you tomorrow. Get a grip and try not to be nasty yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Being a "jerk" is NOT dependent on weight! They come in all shapes & sizes! Most folks that I know that are a "little over their ideal weight" are a "jolly ole' bunch"...as a matter of fact, I know a lot of "skinny jerks"...

I certainly believe that a person is a product of one's environment (i.e. growing up, maybe they are a jerk themselves and can't make friends, perhaps a bit of genetic makeup, maybe they live on top of a toxic waste dump, chemical imbalance, maybe they maxed out their credit cards or can't get credit, maybe they just don't like you, maybe it's a certain color or barometric pressure that sets them off, one's ability to handle "stress", oh the list could go on and on and on...)...

Cheer up and try not to "stereotype" folks...maybe you have too many "jerk" acquaintances?

Seriously, no offense intended here...there's just a lot of reasons for folks to be "jerks" - I try and ignore them. If you let them get to you, then they are winning "the game of life"! There's a fellow at work that will let "his chain get pulled" a little too easily. Folks tend to "pick" on him...that's not right. I'm the opposite, I try and teach him how to handle the "jerks"...mutual respect is the name of the game. Kill em' with kindness, it makes em' even madder and then you can go off smiling!

Negeltu

Enlightened
I was a chubby boy growing up... and was teased and treated very nasty by others who were normal weight. This caused social anxiety that I still deal with today. Maybe YOU have notice more overweight people with nasty attitudes because they get so much crap from other people it GIVES them a bad attitude. Stereotyping also tends to give people bad attitudes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
I know a lot of "skinny jerks"...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way it is around here at work too. There are a few jerks in every one of life's categories, but it always seems to be the "skinny" ones who always pick a point and never let things die.

I'm fat and happy--but sometimes I can be as big a jerk as all those around me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I was friends with a person that was way over weight and people including his own dad tended to treat him like crap, but He still attempted to be chearfull.
I my self have isshues that I deal with crap from other people, I was in special ed classes thought school and caught hell for that, also I have bladder ishues and need diapers for that so I tend to realy get snappy at times simply beacuse I just get sick and tired of so called "normal" people treating Me like dirt, so I can sympathize some times with people that are on the short end of the "social stick" if you will.
Basicly what I sugjest is cut people some slack and they may treat you better in return.
There are times I have realy bad days but the truth is, I never repond to a meaningfull smile with a hiss in return, kindness goes a lot farther.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
lymph said:
I'd worry more short guys with Napoleon complexes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I haven't yet taken over a country, fear me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say the exact opposite is true for me. I can count on a fat or unattractive or elderly person to be friendly while someone you would consider attractive, trim, dressed nicely is snappy, rude or flat out ignores you. I enjoy being behind people like that as they never hold a door for me and my wheelchair and its fun to draw attention to them by crashing into the door flinging it open behind them. Some say they are sorry and keep on walking. The fat ugly people almost always hold it for me.

StuU

Enlightened
Some over-weight women seem to be crushed by the way beauty is defined in our image society.....they are often treated abusively due to their appearance. So some fat women may feel that they are viewed as gross and unattractive, being unable to compete with all the fashion model stereotypes that surround us. And so the nasty attitudes....

Public school can be especially hard on girls who do not fit the fasion-model imagery. We know one girl in junior-high who was so harrassed by a group of boys that the parents threatened the school administration with a police complaint.