Best type/brand AA rechargables/chargers?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Could someone advise me the best brand/type of AA rechargable batteries and charger for using with LED flashlights that will take rechargables - like the UK 4AA? I see there are a lot of difference - from 1800 to 2500. The 2500 cost more and I'm tempted to believe they store more juice, but I'm really ignorant about this and would just as soon get what I really need rather than go cheap and regret it later. Many thanks.

P.S. - I don't plan on using them for storage or emergency kits, just for using in my everyday house lights/radios/etc.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me old fashioned, but I like Energizer 2500s for AAs.

I also have the Ray O Vac 15 minute charger with 2000 mAh AAs and 800 mAh AAAs. The 15 minute batteries get warm but so far have worked perfectly and consistantly (I've done 8 runtime tests on my LED_ASAP modded ARC and all were within 7 minutes before flickering). The Energizers in the Ray O Vac charger have no heat issues.

I have 4 different sets of rechargeable AAs but haven't really done enough timed testing to get meaningful results. Even the 1800 mAh set I got from WalMart for $10 for the charger and 4 AAs chug along perfectly so far but it's a dumb charger.

My best advice is to get a charger that 'shouldn't' over charge and then be sure to unplug them when they're charged.

Also, not to be one of those guys that says, 'wrong forum' but for your own benefit, there is more information on batteries in the Flashlight Electroncs forum a few doors down. I'd suggest digging around there. There are a couple guys that have done some more 'advanced research'.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Many thanks. I found an energizier 15 minute charger that came with 4 AA 2200 mAh and 2 AAA 850 mAh. Charger holds 4 cells. Purchased for $31.95 from Sams Club. Then went to Walmart and purchased an 8 pack of 2500s. Guess I'm set to do my own experimenting.