Ideas for Tracking lights?

jasonp

Newly Enlightened
Hola guys. My first post. I need some ideas on a good light. I'm an Agent with the US Border Patrol and we rely on our flashlights extensively. I carry a stream light stinger and love the output/beam. As you know however, the output is short lived. This just doesn't cut the mustard when you are tracking a group of drug smugglers, etc. at night for 4+ hours or more. A few details for you; when tracking with a flashlight, you have to hold your light close to the ground and parallel to it as well. This creates a shadow effect on the ridges of tracks (foot prints) IF the light you are using puts out a good beam this technique works well. NOTE: flood lights don't work well for this.
Take one of your good beam lights and one of your flood type lights outside, step in the dirt, and then hold both lights (individually) very close and parallel to the ground aiming across the track. You will see what I am talking about. Difficult to explain unless you see it I guess.
Anyway, with the above in mind, I am looking for a light/torch that puts out a good beam and is somewhat long lasting. Like I said, the stinger is great but burns out too quick as does surefire 123's. I ordered an Elektrolumens xm-3 a couple of nights ago hoping that this might come close. I ordered it due to all the good reviews you guys were giving it here. I've tried the light wave 4000 (too much of a flood), stream light 4led AA (again just flood light, no beam). I like the LED's white light and longer life on a set of batteries but I haven't found one yet that fits what we need. If I can find one the fits the bill, I'm going to TRY and put in an order of around 150 of them for my troops. I tried my little brother's Coast Lenser Tac the other night and liked it. It was powered with three AA's and had a decent beam. That was the first time that I've seen a LED light with a good beam. I just couldn't find anything about its burn time on the net so I went with the xm-3. How bright is the xm-3 compared to say a stinger or a D-cell (regular) mag light? If it put out a decent beam, it may be close to what I'm looking for. You guys are the master of the light stick so I figured that you would know. Thanks for your help in advance..JP
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

jasonp

Newly Enlightened
Re: Ideas..

anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pokkuhlag

Enlightened

I think you're better off with D cell flashlight if you want throw AND runtime of 4+ hours. AA cell won't last more than 2 hours if you want some throw in it. And the reflector of a D cell is also bigger, so there is also more throw at the same output lvl as a XM-3. My suggestion, PM 3rd shift for his Maglite LED mod. There are reviewers claiming a few hundred meters of throw. Here is the link. This is the 3C version, I think he also sells the 3D version for even more runtime. The estimated direct drive 3C light would run 6 hours and the 3D version would run about 11 hours and a 3D light modded by 3rd shift is 75$ a piece. Here is the link

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll second the recommendation. The lights he builds are throw lights, with very tight beams, and while you still get a little bit of flood, it's much less. He specifically designed it for long runtime, there's a post where a user reports leaving it on the whole evening and night (12+ hours) and it still runs. That was a D-cell configuration I believe.

The disadvantage is the weight, but you seem to need the runtime, and there's no way around that (even carrying spare batteries means weight). C cells are excellent performers for their weight. You can then use this as your tracking light and the big guns with short runtime as-and-when needed.

It's also an awesome long-range light.. try one and see. Effective out to at least couple of hundred yards if not more (depending on ambient light).

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Jason,

The 4 hour run time is difficult...

I might suggest a SureFire U2. You could adjust the brightness of the light down for run time. It has a reasonable beam, but tends a bit towards flood.

I tried your technique on my rug (we have snow outside...) and the U2 seemed to have enough throw and beam concentration to see indentations across the room.

You might also check out McGizmo's Aleph lights.

Edit: I should add that 3rd Shift's lights may be better suited for your needs. I was thinking in terms of light weight and compact.

Tom

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Check out the Streamllight TT-3C....on 3 leds the runtime to 50% of max brightness is 33.5 hours, on 6 leds the runtime to 50% of max brightness is 18 hours and on the xenon bulb the runtime to 50% of max brightness is 2.25 hours. Cost is in the $30 range. Uses 3 "C" batteries.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tracking light Ideas?

I can make 150 lights like this.
With 3 nimh c cells, it is still easy to carry and can go the 4-6 hour runtime distance at near full brightness the whole time.
It will just take me a week to get all the parts together to make them.
I make these turnkey.
Then I can ship them.

Please private message me on how you want me to do this.
You may also want to try just one of mine just to find out.
I have the money back guarantee just for that purpose.

N710

Newly Enlightened

Elektrolumens FT3C with optic or new reflector would be perfect.Runs on 3 C cells.Runtime is over 4 hours at full brightness.Throws farther than many factory LED lights(Surefire L5,L6,U2 ect.)and is much smaller than a Mag mod.

jasonp

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the ideas guys. 3rd shift, PM sent. The FT3C looks like a good option as well but black is a requirement. I was thinking the TriStar Phaser. I may order one of those as well just for comparison purposes. It says 8 hours of run time continuous on a set of c cells. I was hoping the (small) XM-3 was an option but if what you guys are saying is true, maybe not. We'll see...Thanks again.
Jason

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jasonp said:
Thanks for the ideas guys. 3rd shift, PM sent. The FT3C looks like a good option as well but black is a requirement. I was thinking the TriStar Phaser. I may order one of those as well just for comparison purposes. It says 8 hours of run time continuous on a set of c cells. I was hoping the (small) XM-3 was an option but if what you guys are saying is true, maybe not. We'll see...Thanks again.
Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

New version of FT-3C will be black.

Runtime is excellent, about 4-5 hours of excellent light, 12-16 hours of good light, 60-75 hours of useful light.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF Jason.

I recommend changing the title of the thread. "ideas" just didn't get my attention until I was bored and had nothing better to lurk.

I was going to recommend a modded 3D M*G light something like 3rd shift was putting together. The body size for enough batteries power/runtime and mod to the right LED/reflector for good throw not flood.

scudinc

Enlightened

The Inova T2 would be good. It has an advertised life of 5 regulated hours, as well as a very tightly focused beam and superb construction. It's also much smaller and lighter than anything else mentioned here. It's $42 at policegearusa.com.

jasonp

Newly Enlightened

I actually would consider the T2 but the government buys AA's, C's and D's. Anything using 123's and we have to buy our own battery's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

wintermute

Enlightened

Once the new FT3-C is in, I recommend that light as well, I think it would be a perfect combo of size, throw, and brightness for you. Its a Great light. I don't think that the XM-3 will be bright enough for your use, although I really enjoy my XM-3 as well.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want a beam and lots of runtime, you want an Elektrolumens Blaster 3P. Less runtime but the same beam in a smaller size would tbe the Blaster Jr.

The Tristar Phaser is relatively a floodlight. It's a great light, but the beam is not well focussed. it may or may not work for you. My 3P throws a beam much farther and tighter than the TSP - getting in the league of my Streamlight Ultra Stinger and for a LOT longer time than the Streamlight.

The 3P would make a decent club, too. I'm not as sure about the TSP.

Mike

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

for ideas smaller than a C or D-sized Maglite:
Streamlight 2L Tasklight Luxeon
Elektrolumens Blaster Jr.
Gerber LX 3.0

but i would imagine that one of 3rd Shift's fixer-upper Maglite mods would out-throw those lights considerably.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about getting back to basics? A Mag 3D with an Everled or similar drop in module. Gives pretty decent throw as well as good runtime.
The Inova T2 or X0 also has pretty good throw for a led light, and battery runtime is about 2 hrs or so, IIRC...
Else I know for a fact that my McLux DB700 R2H does pretty close to a G2 in output, and gives really good runtime as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trail tech 10 w HID with either their battery pack or a similar one from http://www.batteryspace.com.
I don't know if you have to be close to the ground but this could be mounted on a stick if needed as well as put a powerful light on your head or in your hand. The battery weighs less than a pound and will give over 4 hours of really bright light.