Design Your Own... NO limits

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Just wanted to start a goofy thread about what Flashlight you would design if given NO limits... ex, power source, physics, etc.

Here's mine...

I want a Flashlight that uses the fussion power cells from the Terminator in T-3. You know, the one that when he pulled it out and threw it away... it exploded with a nuclear blast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This will be hooked up to some type of HID bulb.

I figure I can get a few hundred years straight of run time, and "around" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif one million lumens.

I would like 2 body styles... one in the Surefire M6 body... cause I think that looks SWEET, and one in a "standard" 2D Mag body... so I can look at some one else when I light up one million lumens and say... "What? I got this at walmart... doesn't yours do this too?"

Please, feel free to share your dreams/ideas.

Have a good one.

Stainless Steel

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing too wild for me. Couple the whitest LuxV with a good deep reflector, an infinitely adjustable brightness, preferably achieved by rotating the head, and a lock ring to keep it at a specific brightness. Rechargeable, with external charging things like the Streamlight Strion so I can just pop it on a charger. With 150 lumens on max, and the equivalent of an Arc AA or Photon on low, and everything in between is an available by twisting the head, that would make it a very good light.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be relatively easy to please as well. I'd go for a Lux III light that ran on some sort of LiON cell that would be charged outside the body. There would be five or six levels of output that could provide 30 minutes at ~50 lumens on the highest setting and 24 hours at ~2 lumens on low.

The switch would be a clickie tailcap, but the different levels of output would selected by rotating the 'tailcap' (between the body and switch )to one of the several firm detents. I don't know if I'm describing this properly, but it's something I've envisioned since I first heard of multiple output lights.

Of course, it would be the whitest of white and would have a throw/spill output balance of a wide spot or spot with wide surround (maybe similar to the Q3) using a textured reflector and UCL type lens.

I think an overall design similar to the Q3 but perhaps .5" longer would be prudent and achievable depending on the length of the battery. The body would have knurling more similar to Surefire's than the Q3s but not agressive enough to tear up clothing easily.

Edit - Oh... and as far as material and finish, I love some of the carbide finishes. Boron carbide that was a custom gun (mostly 1911s) finish a while back and the new carbide finish on some William Henry knives... Man, I love that stuff! And it's tough as nails too. I don't think it adheres well to stainless but I'd want something harder than aluminum as a substrate.

unclearty

Enlightened
Q3 size..LiIon battery..2 stage Hi & low...sputtered refector, and a twist head that would go from flood to pinpoint leaf burning at 100 yards.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Well, if I have my way, I would love to have a Ultimate Self Defense light.

It is called 'Drop your weapon' light, and whenever you shine it on any one, the blinding light will cause involuntary muscle reflexes--and the opponents will drop their weapons and lose all desire to fight...

Then someday, every country's military, or even everyone, will get one--and instead of guns and wars, we have just coverted the entire planet earth into Flashaholism... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I would just like to see a flashlight that has

-unbreakable and un-melt-able, 99% light transmitting lens

-good reflector, and optional bigger reflectors for throw

-Someway to ensure the brightest and whitest Lux III or V

-HA III body or some super duper finish/material

-Intelligent menu with various options for user to choose(Auto-off, auto-on, lockup, Force level, low batt warning, auto-strobe etc...like Lion heart...)

-'intelligent' clickie, where a light press and hold will light up at forced or default(high) level--and the light will gradually dim to lowest level, and at any time, user can just press all the way down at a desirable light level during the dimming

-stand on tailcap, lanyard point on body and on clip, optional bezel up/down clip, and candle mode

-2AAs or any rechargable, but 'light engine' will work on other form factors(1-3x123s, 1-2AAs, etc)

-with 2AAs, 100+ lumens, 1+ hr

-almost 'everything' proof, water resistant to 200m, fire-proof for certain minutes, meaning if I drop it from 2nd floor, it will not be dent or chipped

-it has all the remote installed in one, so it could operate my car, stereo, AC, unlock doors, lighting in house, and it would be the best if it could even wash my dishes...no limits, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AuroraLite said:
-it has all the remote installed in one, so it could operate my car, stereo, AC, unlock doors, lighting in house, and it would be the best if it could even wash my dishes...no limits, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

NOW you're talking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SS

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you're going to have no limits...

•I want a handheld along the lines of a magnalight, but when you
set it for high power and narrow beam, you have to be careful,
because it will slice things.

• I want a lightweight finger ring model with the output of a Luxeon.
No I don't care what bin...

• And of course for the serious among us there are the body mods.
How about a work light inset in the middle of my forhead? Gotta be
careful not to let it get too hot I suppose...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'd like the Lux XXVI (250 Lumen,96% efficient) running in a 1/2 AA (4.6V, 7.2Ah) formfactor pocket light, available in about 20 years. (So I could ***** about the lousy bin I got in the still-running "Lottery." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif )

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I want diamond crystal and carbon nano tubes generating full spectrum light driven by a micro fuel cell that converts methane into rectricity. Form factor is a platinum ring with a cool signet design. 256k levels of output signaled via thought control but "locked out" during dreaming. And if that isn't dumb enough for you, just ask where the methane comes from and how it's collected! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
As to the "methane collection" part, I don't care to watch/smell! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Remind me to stay up-wind of you at SHOT!)

Larry

rwolff

Enlightened
Nothing fancy, just a "drop-in" for a 2D Mag featuring a Fraen "triple optic" and a trio of Luxeons (XW0E bin).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
Nothing too wild for me. Couple the whitest LuxV with a good deep reflector, an infinitely adjustable brightness, preferably achieved by rotating the head, and a lock ring to keep it at a specific brightness. Rechargeable, with external charging things like the Streamlight Strion so I can just pop it on a charger. With 150 lumens on max, and the equivalent of an Arc AA or Photon on low, and everything in between is an available by twisting the head, that would make it a very good light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very close to this/\ however using a LUXIII. The drop in charger would be sweet (and would make LiOn batt good) but keep the size no bigger than G2ish...

Actually, something along the lines of a M*g85 would be nice, I just can't afford it!

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a flashlight that uses direct matter to energy conversion (fotons created through matter-antimatter anihilation) as a power source. The user could mentally control the flashlight. Beam shape, spectrum and power could be controlled. Flashlight could fly above owner, lighting large area (like a sun) and follow him.

[ QUOTE ]
StainlessSteel said:
Just wanted to start a goofy thread about what Flashlight you would design if given NO limits... ex, power source, physics, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we don't care for limits we can imagine a flashlight that could be something that could do whatever user wants to do (but primary it would be a flashlight)-without limits, thus making a owner something like a god.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would jsut be happy with a light like the a2 with multiple 5 watt leds than the 3 5mm ones and a brighter lamp and maybe a 3 cell model or have a second barrow to add cells and make it computer controlled so you can vary the brightness and run time. So you have have it bright or moon mode and add more cells as needed for run time.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL Giz... eheheh. Hey scudinc, that light would be pretty damn bright lol... I say a light like that pila GL that's getting passed around right now enroute to me. but instead of leds in the back it has a mini black hole that sux everything and converts it to starlight out the other end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aleph 2, using one cr123 battery with an electronic switch mounted like the Lion Heart ( button just behind the head ).

We need great switch improvements.

Topper

Flashaholic*
The size of the SF M4; built in cell phone and GPS, adjusting spot to flood running at 2500 Lumens on air and/or water never needs charging unless your in space.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh yeah make it a clicke please.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
A SF Beast that is twice as bright and throws twice as far with a rechargeable batt. pack. That would just about be my dream light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Acctually, I would add a spot-to-flood feature, a small light in the handle that would be used in situations where you wouldn't need much light(like an EDC), and a push button trigger as well as the twisty thing that turns it on now. I wouldn't mind a 5 hour runtime either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif