Best AAA/AA flashlight

gatesy3

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I don't usually post on the Incandescent thread but lately I have got to thinking that I do also like a good long throwing incandescent. I have a Pelican M6 and a PTec Surge but would like to know what the most powerful AA and AAA incandescents are,particularly AAA. I have seen that Ptec do a 4AA model called the rage--is this rated at all?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A PT40 with NimH cells and a 3 cell Krypton or maybe even Xenon (Scary to me) is a pretty powerful little light...

I used one to light up a metallic building some 150 feet away NICELY!

There are threads running right now on using 9AA NimH to drive superbulbs to insane brightness. One guy lights up a building over 300 YARDS! away!

Those are two pretty far apart extremes.

I also offer this. I have an old "Homart" 3D light with a 3" reflector, and i did have a Coleman 3D with 3". Both throw/threw very tight beams. Size matters!

beam_me_up

Enlightened
The AA Surge is about the best commercial light for use with AA batteries....if you are including custom lights then I would go with ufokillerz HID flashlight that runs on 8 AA's

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
The Tec 40 is compatable with NIMHS batteries. I have been using one with those rechargables for about a year. I have substituted a Maglite MAG-STAR Xenon 4 cell bulb with great results. Some people have tried the 3 cell with even brighter results but I would be afraid the bulb might burn out. PT makes two different reflecters for the Tec 40. one is a very decent spot and the other is a very smooth flood. They are easily interchangeable. I usually get about 5 to 6 hours of good light from the batteries but be forewarned when the batteries die, it happens VERY fast. I always carry a spare light or another set of batteries with me. I really like this little light.

snoofer

Newly Enlightened
Just the info I was looking for.

I already have a couple of LEDS in the vehicles and a few more around the house.

I have been searching for a "backyard" incan for a while now, and this sounds like the one.

Just need one with plenty of throw, and one that will run on Nimhs <-----I have plenty.

That M@g 85 and those other monsters seem just too much..........(price and weight).

lingpau,
where can I get the stuff for your same setup?

wallyrulz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
snoofer said:That M@g 85 and those other monsters seem just too much..........(price and weight).

[/ QUOTE ]

WAAAAAAHHHHHH!?! Blasphemy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The Rage uses four AAA's and is a nice little pocketable light.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually come to think of it, CPF's work has really redefined the true meaning of "AA" flashlight. We have crazy sick things like Mag2HIDs running off 8AA NiMH and Mag85s putting out 800 front-end lumens from 9AA NiMH.

CPFer: "Oh yeah, my flashlight uses only AA batteries"
Uninitiated: *thinking* well, I bought a $30 CR123 light.. and he calls himself a torch enthusiast?
CPFer: ".... that produces 800 lumens..."