how to convert from pegasus mail

turbodog

Flashaholic
This is a little info for anyone using pegasus mail. I have been using it since at least 1992 or so, and have a tremendous amount of messages built up. I had considered changing to outlook express or something else because pegasus's author is unsure about the future of the program.

That said, I've been looking for a way to convert my messages out of there. It seems that pegasus is about the only mail client that the other ones do not automatically import from. I don't know if that's because pegasus is obscure (which I really doubt) or that they're subtly trying to choke it out of existence.

In any case..... after months of searching I have finally found the way to convert all my stuff. I am posting this in case there's another forum member out there with the same problem. For what it's worth.... the method I used should work to import stuff into pegasus as well. However, this isn't a real issue since pegasus will read eudora's messages, and eudora is a mail client that will exchange with outlook express, netscape, and others.

First, I made sure I was running th latest pegasus, v 4.12c
Then, I loaded eudora 6.2 (latest).
Then I loaded and ran mailconv. I forgot where I found this program, bt if you search for pegasus and mailconv.zip you should find it. If you need it, pm me and I'll send you a copy.

Mailconv converted pegasus to eudora, but it lost the folder names. I went through and renamed the folders. I had several nested folders and it put all them on the same level.

After this, it was easy to import into outlook express.

Results:
After importing about 5000 messages and checking most all of them I did not lose a message. A few messages with bad dates were automatically assigned today's date.

Also, those of you familiar with pegasus know that it can/will send attachments in strange ways. And if someone replies to tour message (that had an attachment) the attachment will often become part of the message (and lost as a result). I had a few instances of this, but they were older messages where pegasus was sending enclosures instead of attachments.

By and large, I was extremely pleased with the results.

Let me warn you..... if you are in my shoes you need to keep this info. I can't tell you how hard and long I looked for the *right* conversion utility. There are not many out there for pegasus, and most of them 1) do not work 2) are for the old dos version 3) only convert address books 4)only convert the inbox and not the folders (can't tell you how disappointed I was after running THAT one).

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
We just did the same research and came up empty. There is still a few administrators that still have not been forced over yet because of this problem. So I will have to check with the boss and see if this is an option for us. I'm just a tech not an admin so I don't get to make the big decisions. Thanks for the info.
Hornet

turbodog

Flashaholic
I don't really see as having to convert right now. At least I know (at the current software revisions) that I can convert.

Pegasus is a great email program. It's practically immune to attack.

My only current problem is that it doesn't always handle hyperlinks in emails correctly. The address book could be better as well.

But, I have never seen mail handling/filter rules as powerful as it has.