Q3 Rechargable!! - The Q3-R Forum :)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok! I just received my new rechargable R123 Battery from BatteryStation and popped it into my Q3. Loox like it came fully charged.

I also ordered a few extra 123s for my [other lights] so I put in a fresh 123 and put it directly on my light meter. it measured 900,000 LUX (not at 1-meter) Then I put in the rechargable and it came in at 1,650,000 LUX (not at 1-meter) Then I took the square root of each (like quickbeam's formula but mot at 1-meter) and the numbers came to be 30 and 40 respectively.

All this mean's is that the Q3 with rechargable batteries to start has at least 33% more output. Am I missing something?

I didn't get any instructions with my new charger and battery. Does anyone know how long it takes to charge? Are there any other precautions I should take or do while using this charger/battery?

This has probably already been discussed but just wanted to throw up this first impression of the rechargables and Q3.
Thanks for looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Q3 Rechargable!!

Looks can be decieving. When my JSB-123's arrived they had some juice in them, and tested at something like 3.4 volts, but they still took about 5 hours each to charge.

When fully charged my JSB's were 3.85 volts, and didnt blow my TM-301X-3. I got 23 minutes of tremendous brightness, and the head got HOT! I guess that should be expected when feeding a light 7.7 volts rather than 6 :p

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Need to do this a little more accurately just to make sure. Amazing thing is the numbers I got using the regular battery in the Q3 are exactly the same as Quickbeam's review!!

Standard CR123 600 LUX @ 1-meter
BatteryStation Rechargable R123 990 LUX at 1-meter

Estimated non-scientific results while applying the inverse square law, used by Quickbeam;

Standard CR123 24.49 meters of throwing power
Rechargable R123 31.46 meters of throwing power

That's 28% more throwing power and since we are using the same light we can assume that the Output has also increase 28% (I'll test that with Gadget_Lover's 'bird cooker' when we get together in February if I remember) In fact that might help corralate accuracy of the cooker...

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened

That's quite exciting indeed. With the extra boost, will it hurt Q3 in the long term? How about led, is it overtaxing it?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Freedom1955

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CPFMan said:
That's quite exciting indeed. With the extra boost, will it hurt Q3 in the long term? How about led, is it overtaxing it?

I'm wondering the same thing.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

code09

Enlightened

nice! i just bought some rechargables...i cant wait!

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened

I just got my charger today. It'd not the one pictured on the Battery station website though. It a black two port one. My battery appeared to be fully charged. I'm still waiting on a spare battery.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

CromagNet: if you want even more zing from your Q3, pop in a 20mm IMS reflector. It's not orange peel, but will throw farther!

code09

Enlightened

Isaac, where do we go about getting one of these reflectors?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello CromagNet,

I think part of the increase is that primary 123 cells have a voltage of 3 volts where rechargeable 123's have a voltage of 3.7 volts.

Tom

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey thanks everyone for all the tips.

Isaac: I really like tho OP and not looking for more throw. I like the higher output and white white white! (with a teeeny bit of blue) My Ombu still has more umff all around. But the reflector idea you mentioned would definately get more throw and output. which many other will want to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox... Thanks for all your help as I was learning about this one. I am really pleased with it. Now if I can just do the same thing for my Ombu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OZ

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
AR15Fan said:
I just got my charger today. It'd not the one pictured on the Battery station website though. It a black two port one. My battery appeared to be fully charged. I'm still waiting on a spare battery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the same one today as you did AR15Fan. I emailed Kevin @ Battery Station earlier today and asked if it had the same properties as the one pictured on his site.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

HEY! Now that you mention it. That's what I got too. Let us know if anyone finds out differences.

Nanook

Newly Enlightened

That's funny. I just received the same two port charger today as well. We must have had a "4:20" moment of ordering rechargeables. My charger didn't come with instructions either, but the back of it says "charge with constant current and constant voltage" so I wonder if it has a trickle charge and is safe to leave batteries in it for long.

While I don't have a light meter, I am thrilled with the apparent increase of guilt free output. I hastily took one of the two batteries and stuck it in my Q3, but the other one measured about 3.8V fresh off its first charge.
[Edit] On its second charge, it measured 4.04V.

On a side note, I finally managed to get the head off to check my bin (SX1L) by leaving it on for about 5 minutes. Got pretty toasty!

I'll watch this thread for further news, rather than sending a duplicate email.

nonbox

Banned

Does any one have pics of the two port charger?
How much time does it take to fully charge a R123?
Can you charge one cell at a time?
Do the R123 heat up when left too long on the charger?
How many cycles do you get from these R123s in this two port charger?
How does this two port charger compare to the competition?

LightHearted

Enlightened

Funny, I got the same charger on the same day. What is not funny is that mine also came with no instructions whatsoever. This is more than a little disheartening considering all the precautions I hear about rechargeable lithium ions and I am a relative newbie at this.

charger.JPG

back.JPG

In defense of the Battery Station, it did arrive quickly and came with a home and car adpater. They even gave me a pen and a calendar.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

With protected batteries, they shut off internally when they get full, so the charger could probably be left on indefinately.

Very interesting that these are testing at 3.8 volts for a 3.7 volt cell, and my JSB-123's test at 3.85 volts for a "3v nominal" cell....

OZ

Newly Enlightened

I just got a email reply from Kevin @ Battery Station, regarding the new chargers here's what he wrote:

"Yes, it is a better charger but not updated picture yet. The smart part is really in the battery. NOT regulated but protected. Still tops at just over 4V."

I also got the pen and calender which I thought was a good touch.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Q3 Rechargable!! (BIG Update)

** OK BIG UPDATE ** I just got off the phone with Kevin at Battery station. I was trying to type exactly what he was saying as he was saying it so excuse the syntax or potential confusion...

-- New charger does one or two at a time. Uses bi-color LED to monitor. Starts red and goes green when done. Leave it on all the time. Kevin leaves spare in there all the time for days and then just swap out. Does NOT get hot. It's a slow charge, 4-hours approx time to charge if dead. They have been testing them, so many come fully charged already. Topping at about 4.2v off the charger. They tried a regulated batteries at 300-400mAh (because of space requiring regulator in battery) Non regulated are 700mAh. They were frying under heavy current. So regulated will not work in some lights and fries the regulator. So they scrapped the regulated project. NO regulated Battery. THEY ARE PROTECTED BUT NOT REGULATED. Kevin.

I hope I got all that write. Please correct any errors Kevin and thanks for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NOTE: They have been burried with a lot of end of year and new software stuff and just wanted to get product to you guys as quick as possible.

PS Kevin said they have been using them in dual set-up lights and they worked without problem. Voltage went up from 6.6v to 7.4v making for brighter lights. So I ordered two more and am hoping it will work in my Ombu X33... I'll post here when I test :fingers crossed: