Tactical LED Flashlight with clip between 4" & 5"

migo

Newly Enlightened
Tactical LED Flashlight with clip between 4\" & 5\"

Hi, I looked through about 10 pages of posts here and didn't see anything that quite fit what I was looking for.
I'm looking for a good flashlight that I could use for self defense purposes. I was looking at the E2D for a bit but decided against it as the teeth could be a liability physically and in court. I also am not likely to actually get into a fight, so I might as well have a good flashlight. Xenon really doesn't do that as it gets hot and the bulbs burn out quickly, so LED is the choice for me. I was looking at a couple of lights, the Surefire L2 looked really nice because it has low and high powered settings, but it's a bit on the long side at just over 6". A clip is a must so I have easy deployment from my pocket in the case that I do need it for a fight. I'm still open to the L2 but I'm wondering what all my options are in this range. LED, Clip, as cylindrical as possible so I don't have a weird shape for a fist load, preferably different power options (something like the wolf eyes ones would also be ok, but they don't have clips), and medium sized.

Thanks

Steve C

Enlightened
Re: Tactical LED Flashlight with clip between 4\" & 5\"

"Tactical" and LED are mutually exclusive. There are several detailed threads on the topic around here, but the Reader's Digest version is that LED light does not penetrate the shadows cast by ambient light. LEDs are great for total darkness. but if there is any ambient light (such as street lights), you will be better served with a good incandescent light.

Having been a long-time member (20+ years LSP SWAT) of the "tactical" community, I wince every time the term is used. It has become more of a rallying call for armchair commandos than a viable descriptive adverb.

If you have no plan to go offensive once threatened, the best light to have is one that will illuminate the quickest di-di (get-away) route for you. And that expensive U2 in your briefcase or vehicle will be of zero value to you when the flag goes up. get something that you will carry; all day, every day.

The Nuwai QIII is a VERY useful little light; and there can be no real rason not to have one in your pocket. I grow more impressed with mine daily. But I carry the powerful incan A2. When I retire, the QIII could well get the nod, since is half the size and weight of the A2.

Please excuse these rambling thoughts. I've been in this profession too long, and need to get away... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not to suggest the obvious, but if you like the E2D but don't like the agressive bezel, you could always get the E2E. Or the E2O for less output but longer runtime.

As far as Surefires go, the L2 and U2 would get my attention if you were comfortable with the length. The L1 is still a very usable light... just wish the low setting was a bit higher.

migo

Newly Enlightened

Oh, I didn't know that there was different illumination between the lights... can you point me to some threads where this is discussed. As for the E2E.. I was staying away from it because it was Xenon.. but now that steve brought that up I'm having to reconsider.

Thanks for the responses!

mokona2

Enlightened

Steve is correct about the illumination difference between LEDs and incandescents. I didn't realize it until I compared my L2 with my G2 outdoors. Ambient lights from store fronts and street lamps tend to wash out the brightness of my L2 (more blueish tint) while my G2 seemed to penetrate foggy or smokey conditions much better. Indoors it could go either way but I still find it easier to spot movement with the incandescent due to the slightly yellowish tint (haven't tried the higher output lamps).

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tactical LED Flashlight with clip between 4\" &

I think the redesigned Streamlight TL-2 LED is the closest. Compact, good output, clip.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

migo a Surefire L4 has the same high output as an L2 but is shorter overall. If you are looking for a shining example of a bright small light check out McGizmo's Aleph Series.

I think anyone here that is saying LEDs aren't bright or don't work outdoors would be hard pressed to find a light as small and bright as the Aleph 2. The Aleph 2 just has a huge brightness to size ratio. The Aleph 2 doesn't have a clip but the Surefire E1e body can be used instead. Though McGizmo is planning on offering a clip down the road.

Steve C

Enlightened

Its not about brightness; its about light characteristics.

I have had several e-mail exchanges with Don discussing this; what he told me is that the Aleph 2 head will out-THROW any current commercially-available LED flashlight. But you're still facing the problem of ambient incan (or mercury vapor) light basically absorbing LED light.

I am not imagining this. The L4 is pretty damn bright. But in that back yard that night, it wouldn't illuminate squat outside the circle of light cast by the street light; until I moved OUTSIDE of that circle into darkness. My partner's Stinger cut right through and lit up the shadows as we headed through the ambient light toward them.

BTW, this wasn't two good old boys playing with their lights in the back forty. This was two cops looking for bad guys.

LED lights are cool; I have several. But for a general purpose lighting tool- especially one you may have to bet your *** on in the short term- incandescent is the way to go.

Some disagree with that. Me, I've seen the evidence. And once was enough...

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't interpret "tactical" to mean "duty". I interpreted tactical to mean tought, able to withstand some punishment. In my opinion based on street experience LEDs like the Aleph 2 can work as secondary / back-up lights for on duty and as a primary everyday carry light for off duty.

I can't find an incandescant that is as small as the Aleph 2 and anywhere near as bright and as easy to use in a hurry.
And that size is about as big as a light I like to carry off duty / EDC.

migo

Newly Enlightened

Steve, would you say the benefit of incan lights outweighs the fact that they get very hot after a short period of time? I'm mainly thinking of it for if the poop hits the fan at a club, that's the only thing I do nowadays that I'm not confident I can avoid a bad situation. Everything else I've done fine for as long as I've been alive (not counting high school fights, but that's easily fixed by not being stupid).