Surefire L2 makes noise on low beam???

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh???

What's this I read in some reviews about Surefire L2s making a hum or whine on the low power setting?

Can't be true anymore for something so expensive, can it?

Has anyone noticed this on any current production Surefire LEDs?

Scott

mokona2

Enlightened
The L2 definitely emits a low humming noise on the low output setting. The U2 does not have this problem. I don't know if newer production L2s still hum, but you can have an L4 modified for 2-level output.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its common, and no big deal. Both my U2s (on the lower settings) also hum to some degree. Doesn't hurt anything, nor does it suggest that the light is defective. All 4 of my L2s hum, and none of them have broken down or developed problems. Its just part of the design, and shouldn't be worried about IMO.

My Arc-4s also hum on some settings. I don't worry about it, as there is nothing wrong with a hum.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, how loud is this hum? Do you have to listen carefully to hear it, or is it on the annoying side?

Scott

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
beezaur said:
So, how loud is this hum? Do you have to listen carefully to hear it, or is it on the annoying side?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Its subtle. Because I have very sensitive hearing (I've often been able to hear high pitched sounds that most people I know can't hear at all), I can hear my loudest L2s hum up to 6 feet away. Most people that I've let examine my L2s and U2s can only hear them hum at 9 inches or less. So, for me its moderately noticable, but not to the point of being annoying. Most people I've let examine my lights tell me that they have to really listen to it to hear it. Best answer I can come up with is that it really depends on one's hearing sensitivity.