Any Recommendations For a Wet/Dry Vac?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on a quest to buy one for my garage.

I like the Craftsman line. In particular the ones with a wider diameter hose, long cord and a blower port. I need at least a 12 gallon with about 5 hp.

Any recommendations?

Marty

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sears has some decent vacs. My recommendations would be to wait for a sale, and drop the $ on one of the washable Gore-Tex filters. They're great and really clean up the vac's exhaust, which is really nasty with the stock filter. Also sign up for the Craftsman Club if you aren't already a member. More info in this thread.

Peter

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that bugs me with Vac's and other shop equipment are the claims of huge horse power on standard 15 amp 120 VAC plugs...

15a x 120vac/746 watts per horse=2.4 hp (assuming 100% eff)...

In reality, you cannot pull much more than 1 to 1.5 hp continuously from a 15 amp outlet--where are they getting these 5-6 hp numbers from???

When you look at other ratings, such as CFM for air compressors, the numbers seem to be more accurate (or at least, optimistically consistent across brands).

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Locked rotor would be zero shaft power output--3,500+ watts of heat? Circuit breaker/fuse would pop at ~0-20% over current (for anything more than a few seconds).

The only thing that I could think of was rotational momentum and a brake--Or possibly the instantaneous power consumption/surge on startup (IIRC 40amp max for a few cycles on a 15 amp circuit is allowed).

Again, either rating is useless in real life--unless you are running on a source that has limited surge current (such as a small generator). Then you would want the "peak horsepower" to be a smaller number, not a larger number.

-Bill

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the RIDGID brand at Home Depot. My GF's son got their biggest one 3-4 years ago and I was very impressed with it. I got the 12 gal 4.5 hp just a year ago. I waited for it to go on sale ($40).

StuU

Enlightened
We have a Rigid vac. Bought it after my big Craftsman died after only a moderate amount of use. Very happy with the Rigid.

freeze12

Enlightened
I just bought a 16gal. 6.5hp Ridgid wet Dry vac at Home depot a couple of weeks ago and it came with a free small wet dry Vac and the large vac comes with a lifetime warranty.It was on sale a couple weeks ago for $69.00

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a Dewalt shop vac at Home Depot that uses Dewalts rechargable Batteries.
I have a unch of the 18v batteries around from years of tool collecting. That unit is not for everyone but it would be priceless in the right circumstance.