Help me decide...Dish Network or DirecTV???

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am deciding on what to get for home, Both package options are about the same (1 dollar difference) which would you choose and why? How satisfied are you with the service? Any warnings I should know about?

Thanks!
AlexGT

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
DTV all the way, solely on the superiority of their DVR powered by TiVo. The Dish DVR is a dog by comparison.

Peter

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If I were to choose I am leaning towards directv because it has Fox news and scifi channel on their basic package, while dish network you have to pay more for.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had Dish for a couple of years and they were responsive to my request for service calls (dish not pointed right, etc.) BUT when it came time to move, they were impossible.

I received 3 calls from them trying to get me to take the service with me, they wanted to charge me for the little electronic box that sits next to the dish (mine was 3 stories up and I refused to go up to get it) and they billed me for 3 months after I returned the box.

It was very unpleasant.

Marty

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT- lots of Dish, DTV, and TiVo info can be found by searching "TiVo", username "LitFuse" for the last 2 years. Probably more than you'd care to read actually... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Peter

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! I knew I can count on you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif Will check out DTV in more detail.

If only one offered "The flashlight channel" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

BTW I just suscribed to Yahoo DSL, hope I made the right move.

Thanks again for your help!
AlexGT

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My experience: I bought the equipment from Rat Shack and pre-paid for a year's service with Direct in order to get a $100 rebate. Half way through the prepaid-year, Direct demanded additional money to continue 5 or 7 Starz (movie) channels. I declined and they ceased. Direct was class-actioned a year or two later, and "settled." I got a check for a few $ in the mail, long after I had dropped them and went to a DBS, digital service. I subsequently switched to Dish for a major monthly savings. (I just have the minimum basic- SciFi, History, A&E, CNN, etc, and I pay annually which knocks off 1 month's cost.) They pi**ed me off enough that I will never buy a GM/Hughes/Direct product ever again, and I had been driving a Chevy for the previous 17 years! I have been very satisfied with Dish for the last few years! (End /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif )

Larry

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had no problems with Dish Network at all. Great service. I would like to get my hands on one of their PVR's so i can record. But i'd rather have a Tivo as there is a lot more you can do with the Tivo. I hear, however, that there is a Tivo that is compatable with dish network. I could be wrong.

Shane

tech

Newly Enlightened
I've had Dish for 4 years now, no problems or complaints. Even moving was easy and free.
The main reason I prefer dish is that I like their menu system better. Maybe that is petty, but it was enough for me.
T.

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
I have had no problems with Dish Network at all. Great service. I would like to get my hands on one of their PVR's so i can record. But i'd rather have a Tivo as there is a lot more you can do with the Tivo. I hear, however, that there is a Tivo that is compatable with dish network. I could be wrong.

Shane

[/ QUOTE ]

I've a PVR on my cable that records two channels simultaneously and allows me to watch previously recorded material at the same time. There's also a picture-in-picture feature. I'll be getting a Dish network receiver very soon, however can't seem to find all the info needed to decide on their PVR, including capabilities and input output connections. Guess two antennae will be required to receive all possible channels, is that right? Would like to see close-up pictures of the different units, showing back and front. Must also decide between 80 and 120 gigabytes. Then, of course, there are those DVD recorders as well...I'm already accumulating more than watching, but what's a video junkie to do, eh? Maybe wait for the new blue lasers to be released? Any help appreciated.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recomend PVRs on Dish or Direct or even cable or even rabbit ears.

BTW - Direct is gettign rid of Tivo. They will replace with thier own PVR. This will happen as soon as the contract with Tivo runs out.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been a very happy DTV w/Tivo customer for the last 18 months or so. Comparing the Dish and DTV PVR's DTV comes out the winner for most things. I don't know how that will be once they switch to their own product (or even why they would do that since developing in house is never as cheap as buying into someone else's already working product /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and if they **** me off too much I'll just connect u p a regular TiVO to the receiver. When I signed up DTV was considerably cheaper than Dish for some reason. They have been VERY easy to talk to on the phone when I've had problems, they replaced a receiver/TiVO for me when the HD failed without any arguing and cross shipped the new one so I got it immediately. I've had very good service from them and would recommend them. whatever you do, get the PVR!

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I've had Dish for nearly 8 years now with absolutely no problems except for a blown LNB from a direct lightning strike. They replaced that at no cost.

I have one PVR and one regular receiver, both with UHF remote controls. The UHF remote was important for me to have multiple TVs connected to one receiver with a remote at each TV. That way we could change channels in whatever room we were in. DTV may have UHF remotes also, but I don't know.

Early on, DTV had more sports and adult programming channels. I don't know how the compare now.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The menu system for Dish is a lot easier to use than DTV, but the DVR is not as good. If you don't want/nedd DVR, I'd go with Dish. I don't know how the new DVR system will work out with DTV though.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't plan in using a DVR... yet, and boy it is getting hard to decide, They don't offer trial period do they?

Still pondering what is the best option.

AlexGT

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not getting a DVR is a mistake... a big mistake. It's the best 4.99 per month (TiVo w/ DTV) that you will ever spend. Being able to watch what you want, *when* you want, is a liberating experience. It's even better than going from dial up to Cable or DSL. It will absolutely change to way you think about and watch TV!

As a new subscriber, DTV will subsidize most or all of the cost of your equipment. You will only get this subsidy once, when you first sign on with a provider. Use it wisely, and get a DVR for each TV you plan on using.

Just do it, you can thank me later... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
We have Dishnetwork.

They have really great customer service & I recevied a free DVR with 80 hours of recording capacity, not sure how many GB though. To date I have had no problems with the DVR (2 years) or any other issue. I have nothing bad to say about them.