Going in for gum graph

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Well tomorrow at 4:00, I will be at the periodontist getting a gum graph. I have some receding gum lines, and the periodontist said I will be needing two graphs.

I just wanted to know if any of you have ever had this procedure before, and if you know anything that I should know about it.

I hate anything medical. When I went to visit the periodontist for the first time a while ago, just for a consultation, my heart was pounding and I was very nervous. They took my blood pressure and it was something like 145 over 80 something. I know it isn't normally that high though. So you can tell how nervous I am about the whole thing.

I had two teeth pulled a while ago, and I know once you are all numbed up, you can't feel a thing. But I'm wondering about afterwards. Firstly they are removing a section from my gums on the roof of my mouth, and secondly they are going to somehow attach that to a combination of teeth and exisiting gums.

Oh, and I hate the sight of blood. I passed out once a few years back at the doctors office because I saw myself get pricked while I was sitting up. Yea.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for letting me share, and please wish me luck tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

P.S. I hope I don't sound like a total wimp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Good luck with the procedure. I've never had gum problems, but I've had every tooth in my head either capped or filled, and in many cases, multiple times. I still have all my teeth at age 58, so I'm happy about that. I take at least 500 mg of vitamin C every day and I credit that, at least in part, to my healthy gums... or it could be just my genes, who knows?

If you're ultra-nervous about the whole thing, let the doc know ahead of time by phone and perhaps they'll give you something to relax you and reduce the anxiety. If necessary, they might advise having someone drive you home afterwards.

Again, best wishes.

fuelblender

Enlightened
Good luck Aaron. I hate going to the dentist but if it's any consolation to you, today's dentistry is practically painless. A few years back I damaged a salivia gland and the doc had to remove it by slicing my lip wide open from one end to the other; I didn't feel a thing. You'll be OK.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Re: Going in for gum graft

Good luck on your gum graft procedure.
Relax and let the anaesthetic and the dentist do the work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

teamwimp7zp.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, try to relax! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

a gum graft, eh?? I learn of something new everyday!

Honestly, your gums are important, so do what 'ya gotta do to keep 'em healthy. If the gums go, then the teeth are close behind, and you really don't want false teeth or dental implants (do some research on dental implants, and how they bury the metal into the bone structure... that'll make you queasy fast!)

I'm not sure what to tell you that'll make you feel better about the process. As a child, I had enough scrapes and cuts to pretty much not get bothered by the sight of blood. It's not the same when you know someone is about to stick you, versus an accidental sticking. I donate blood frequently, but can't watch them put the needle in. Small needles, like what are used for shots, are not a problem, tho.

In general, I'd recommend letting the doctor do what he has to do, and thinking about something else while this goes on. Distraction is a very good thing!

good luck,
Steve K.

p.s. to Bart: love the cartoon! As a bike rider myself, I'd recommend that the fellow get some better fashion sense in addition to the guts. Plain black shorts would be my choice.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Please be sure to let us know how it went when you feel up to it. I just noticed its 6.00pm CST and I thought about you
Best of luck to you.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
I have receding gums too. My dentist has been talking about a graft or another procedure where they overlay the exposed roots with an artificial material. There are pros and cons to both methods. Has he mentioned both options? I suggest that you ask him about the non-graft procedure. At least there wouldn't be any cutting or pain with that approach. Ask him. If he didn't mention it, it could be that he just doesn't have the skill to do it, and he doesn't want to lose your business.

Get a second opinion.

I am a real wimp when it comes to dental work too. However, I discovered that nitrous oxide will make a BIG difference. I suffered for years-and-years before I found out about nitrous. Of course, this is also known as "laughing gas" even though it has never made me laugh. I have the dentist give it to me all the time. Works great. It's hard to describe the feeling you get with this stuff, but I like it. It is like being almost asleep, except that you still hear and see everything that's going on - you just don't care though.

They can also give you sedatives, like Valium, to calm you down. We have doctors here that offer to put you completely out while they correct a lifetime of neglect.

Call some other dentists, and tell them what you are looking for before you make an appointment. It can't hurt to ask questions, and it might save you a lot of grief.

Good luck!

Chuck

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just got home from the procedure, and was actually able to call my girlfriend up and tell her how it went, and could be understood. I can't feel my chin or bottom lip at all right now though.

It went a lot better than I expected. As far as anesthesia went, first they rubbed some cream on the area where they would get the gum from, and where they were going to put it. Then I got several shots of novicane, and after that I couldn't feel much at all. I could feel them scraping off the gum from the roof of my mouth a little, but it wasn't painful. It was similar to gently rubbing your fingernail down your skin.

They sutured that up after extracting the gum material, and then stitched it to the two receding spots. After both spots were all stitched up, they put a bandaid on my gum line. It's actually more like sticking some gum (the kind you chew) on your teeth.

I go back in a week for a post-op, where they will remove the stitches if they haven't already disintegrated, and remove the bandage as well, if it hasn't fallen off.

All in all, the worst part for me was the whole idea of the procedure. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that yet, as I am still numb. The doctor recommended advil or extra strength tylenol. If the pain is really bad, he can give me something stronger though.

Before starting this thread, I debated about whether I should post about this or not. I feel much better having posted about this procedure. It made me feel more confident, and I had something to think about while I was in the chair. Oh, did I metion I got to watch Red Dawn while I was having the procedure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I didn't actually watch it watch it, but I glanced at the screen from time to time.

LightChucker,
I have (I guess I should say "had" now) very mild recession; only like two centimeters in two spots. I didn't have any exposed roots, just a little bit more teeth showing than what's normal. I'm not sure about the artifical method. No he didn't mention it, but I'm not sure it would have been right for me.

I got some nitrous oxide when I got some teeth pulled a while back...man that is like the greatest medical invention ever. No shots, no noticable side affects (for me at least), and most importantly, no pain!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Great to here it went well! I confess by the third grade or so I would pass out if a Doctor even mentioned the word "bloodtest" I was so afraid of needles I eventually grew out of it (around 19 I took one to get married and did not pass out--almost passed out during the wedding though)
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
IlluminatingBikr:
I had that procedure about a year ago. The one thing that I would suggest is that you get some "Chloreseptic" spray (or Ambesol) which is used for sore throats. My biggest problem was AFTER the procedure - during the healing, the stitches DROVE ME NUTS - to the point where I (foolishly) tried to remove them myself. I eventually thought of the anestetic spray - which would temporarily reduce the itching. BY ALL MEANS, ask your medical professional for advice before trying my suggestion.
BTW: the net result of the procedure turned out better than expected.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Congratulations on making it through that!

I have TERRIBLE teeth and have spent a LOT of time in the dentists' chair. It can be nerve racking at times but I have a VERY good dentist which makes it easy.

They redid the office a few years back and installed leather chairs. Ok so they're probably not real leather, but they're very very very soft and comfortable. Well my next big problem is (Because of subconscious nervousness?) I get very very cold when I go to the dentist. Arms in particular.

Problem solved! For my last root canal they showed me they've installed massage mats on all of the chairs. I didn't use the massage feature so much, but the heat feature was fantastic.

Now we just need to figure out how to do a root canal without all those X-rays that require you to hold your mouth open forever and a day :gag:

They say no pain no gain, but I think dentistry might be the exception to the rule! Well that's not totally true, my dad's wallet hurt afterwards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(We have insurance but for dental it's a reimbursement plan)

Latest posts