how to mod a maglite?

flashniac

Newly Enlightened
what can I do to mod a maglite and where do I get the parts? and if someone has any pics of moded Mags please reply some?

longarmcowboy

Newly Enlightened
"Mags" as we call them here, are a poor excuse for a luminous device (the preferred industry description). If given the choice between darkness and a "Mag", I choose darkness.

BTW
Reva Longarm Kicks ***

georget98

Enlightened
Depends on which mag you're modifying. I think, generally, the altered light looks the same as the original -- that is until you turn it on.

Mini-Mags are easily converted with various drop-in LED modules. There are also PR type LED lamps to use in the various C & D cell lights.

The 4-D is good for Luxeon conversions.

An easy change is to take a 2-C cell light and put in 3 x 123A cells (you'll need something to take up the difference in cell diameters). Then change the bulb to a KPR-112 or GH24.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimag- various drop-in LED replacements

C/D Mags- lots of mods available-
1) LED drop-in replacements
2) various incandescent bulbs including "superbulbs". Many of these are "overdriven" to provide greater output (and shorter life)
3) various battery configurations- using CR123's in place of C's, 3AA and 8AA adapters to use in place of stacks of D's, Pila rechargeables.\

There are so many different combinations that it takes a long time here to research all of the possibilities.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta go with the modded 3D mag to a Mag85 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif....under $100. You have to try hard to beat it.......

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashniac said:
what can I do to mod a maglite and where do I get the parts? and if someone has any pics of moded Mags please reply some?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
where to get the parts?

Now THAT is where the problem is.

Here is the quick and easy answer- go to brightguy.com and look up EverLed and TerraLux.

Here is the hard answer- go to the Group Buys form, start throwing money and begging.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
[ QUOTE ]
flashniac said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]
Ginseng, have you considered the MagCharger as a host? I hear it *might* be possible to make it a bit brighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think he has any interest in Magchargers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vtunderground

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashniac said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy: EverLed drop-in replacement LED "bulb"

Less easy: this or this.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags suck!

when they're stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

PS. Sorry for the thread-jack. There are many, many things you can do using everything from the 2C up through 6D and in incandescent and LED. Ask around, decide what you want, what you can afford and then buy or ask for help to build it yourself. Heck, if I can do it, anyone can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif