Monitor Suggestions?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My monitor junked out last night, so I guess I need to get a new one.

I'm using an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro video card, so I'd think any modern monitor would work. I haven't shopped for a monitor in a while, though, so I don't even know what to look for. Help me!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You have two choices: flat LCD panels and CRT. If you want the maximum sized picture and desktop real estate isn't a problem go with the CRT (tube) as flat LCD are still close to twice much for the same picture size. If you are gaming using FPS shooters or doing graphic design you need to lean towards CRT since it has a faster scan rate and color rendition is truer. If you have sparse desktop space and a large budget you may consider the LCD screens. They are constantly increasing the scan rate of them to where they are decent for gaming but you have to do research to find the faster scan ones. Check monitor review sites, a couple of places are anandtech.com, and tomshardware.com. If you get an LCD one make sure you have the right connector on your video card or you may have to get an adapter cable.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't game so much, but I do a decent amount of video editing and stuff.

Any brands come to mind?

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a Dell 17" LCD comming to me, I found it to be the best bang for your buck. Unless you find something on a super sale.
Ill let you know how I like it, we have a few 15" ones at work, and they seem great.

BTW,,,, im dieing to know, ATI NEVER says what res that All-inWonder card will capture video at...

~John

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Either type should be acceptable if you don't require perfect color matching. As far as brands I would have to read the latest reviews but if you want a good monitor avoid the 1 year warranty types. I really haven't kept up very well with monitors as far as brands but viewsonic, samsung, Iiyama are 3 brands that come to mind. Best thing to do is decide what approximate size you want and what type of monitor then go from there. Make sure you check resolutions they can do because typically the higher resolution it can do the crisper it will be at all resolutions. My sony goes to 1800x1440 which is useless since video cards quit supporting it years ago, it can do 1600x1200 but it is too small on a 19 inch for other things. I run at 1280x1024 instead. I would recommend sony but since this monitor is the second replacement of my original, I will pass on them.

LightToad

Newly Enlightened
My next monitor will be a lease recovery from tigerdirect.com. 20" name-brand CRT for <$200 typically. A bit of a risk but best bang for the buck in my mind.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Possibly a good deal, I have seen 22 inch monitors that are refurbs with 90 day warranty for less and new 19 inch CRTs on sale for close to $100.00 at times. Tigerdirect.com isn't necessarily the best bang for the buck IMO. You can sometimes get things cheaper by searching at pricewatch.com.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Most people look for sales at local outlets, because shipping monitors mail order can add greatly to the price if they are big heavy CRTs. If you want a cheap one check the sale ads in sundays paper or go to perhaps a frys or something. You should be able to find a semi decent 19 inch on sale for well under $200, perhaps close to $150 or less.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I am in the pc business, and would not go with anything other than viewsonic. They have nice monitors but they have great warranty service.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I haven't heard anything bad about viewsonic. My first monitor was a 17inch Idek Iiyama (now Iiyama) and If they were not so costly I would probably recommend them as mine lasted 9 years before I had to have it fixed for $75 and it still works although the pic is rather blurry. 13 years is a bit too long for a computer monitor IMO.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The three birds rock (the Viewsonic birds).

If you are going with an LCD, make sure you get a DVI connector to make the most out of it.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, well, I tried out my dad's 19'' and it physically won't fit on the desk, so I guess I'm stuck with a 17'' monitor. Cost isn't really as much of a concern as quality and picture. I'll look at some of the reviews and see what I come up with.

John, the All-In-Wonder can capture at all different resolutions and qualities. .

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would check around some. 19 inch monitors vary widely on depth by as much as 3-5 inches, with some of the cheaper ones being longer in depth at times.

I just remembered viewsonic used to make some short yoke monitors that were as short as 17 inch monitors in depth, I am not sure they still carry them or if they are reasonably priced either. Take a measurement of your desk space and check around on manufacturers sites some to see if your dads just happens to be one of the deeper ones or not.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it depends on what you use the monitor for. LCDs have a few limitations compared to CRTs that are evident to gamers and some others. For viewing text, which is what I do, I think LCDs are superior. It's just my subjective view, but I'm convinced. It may make a difference if you are running an OS that has clear type fonts, like XP. I don't notice any color rendition problems either and I doubt that most people would. I think pictures look great.

I have a short depth 17" Viewsonic CRT sitting on the floor that I haven't used in 6 months. I used a 21" Trinitron at work. I definitely prefer my Samsung 172t 17" LCD monitors.

A 17" LCD monitor has the same size screen as an 18" CRT because with CRTs the overall tube diagonal is measured, not the viewable part, just like TV picture tubes are measured.

LCD's have no doubt gotten better and cheaper since I bought mine two years ago. I can't give you a particular recommendation. I paid extra for mine because they have two video connectors which lets me switch it between computers. One connector is digital (DVI) and the other is analog (VGA?). I'd buy another Samsung, but I've not used any others so that doesn't mean much.

The first thing you will notice about an LCD monitor is it's bright. Really bright. But adjustable of course. The next thing you will probably notice is it's flat. Really flat. In fact the first time I used an LCD the screen seemed concave after using CRTs for so many years.

I think Samsung makes at least 10 different models of 17" LCD monitors. Some have fast response time for gamers, some have speakers, some can be rotated from landscape to portrait, some have DVI, some may have better colors. Damned confusing.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I went to Circuit City last night. I wandered around looking at prices and stuff, and I found myself drooling over the LCDs. Being a video guy I tried video on all of them, and I found a Sony that had a pretty good picture. I asked for the price, and the guy couldn't find it. He started digging around and found a price of $399, with a $50 mail in rebate. I figured that it couldn't be right, it was WAY too low for a monitor like this. I called home and my brother found it for over $600 on Newegg, so needless to say it's on my desk, glowing away. .

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad you got a sony trinitron.

they really blow away non trinitron monitors.

like my young nephiew says the colors pop on this monitor

I have a 19 inch sony.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sony monitors are nice... I have a G400 trinitron, but sadly their service stinks big time... that is why my monitor was replaced with a REFURBISHED one. I had to pay shipping twice because they *fixed* my monitor and it died of the SAME problem a week later. Two refurbs later I got a good enough monitor but they didn't reimburse me shipping on their failed attempt to fix my monitor in the first place. They said they would if I contacted someone at a certain number but they balked and backed out.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a vision problem and love laptops myself. I use larger crts, but larger crts have dimmer displays where smaller ones are brighter. I have tried a few lcd monitors, but they are hit and miss with me. At the college I attended vcu, I rather use a crt or my own laptop as the lcds were harder for me to see. At the dept for the blind, L iked the ones they have, I much rather use them than a crt.