Opinions on some different SF "E" setups wanted...

GR

Newly Enlightened
Opinions on some different SF \"E\" setups wanted...

I'm gathering some SF "E" series parts and would like some opinions (pros/cons) on each possible combo.
1x123 body (E1e) with new KL1 or KL4
2x123 body (L4) with new KL1 or KL4
Any of the above combos with a Z57 or an McE2S (22 ohm).

Thanks

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
My personal observations:

E1e/KL4 combo:

Pros: small size, great output.
Cons: greenish tint with standard 123 battery. Short run time.

E2e/KL4 combo:

Pros: fantastic output, long run time.
Cons: a little long for pocket carry.

Not much information, but hope it helps.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My personal observations:

I'm using a KL1 on my E2e so here's my opinion. For the KL1 on either the E1e or E2e there is no difference in brightness, just the runtime, thats all.
Between the KL4 and KL1, the KL4 is much brighter, and hence has a shorter runtime too... I prefer the KL1 cos of the longer runtime, and although not as bright compared to the KL4, it serves its purpose well enough.
The McE2s would probably be just nice for the KL4, as you would probably see a noticable drop in output on low mode, and yet an increase in runtime. The McE2s is also usable on the KL1 as well, not sure how much more runtime you'd be able to squeeze out of it when running on low though (think double digits maybe?), although on 22ohms it might be a bit too dim i think...
Depending on what you prefer, runtime or brightness... I'd stick with my E2e/KL1 for now I think... (probably because i can't afford a KL4 or L4 now...) as I'd much prefer runtime, Good luck, and hope this helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Re: Opinions on some different SF \"E\" setups wanted...

[ QUOTE ]
GR said:
I'm gathering some SF "E" series parts and would like some opinions (pros/cons) on each possible combo.
1x123 body (E1e) with new KL1 or KL4
2x123 body (L4) with new KL1 or KL4
Any of the above combos with a Z57 or an McE2S (22 ohm).

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Exx.jpg

Being that you asked about SF Exx series lights I will throw in my .02 in…before I bought my LionHeart lights the SF Exx lights took center stage. I still like them very much…but with the LionHearts….it's a whole different story now.

In the picture right to left is the:

E1e/KL1(Generation 3)/Z57 I really like this light…..it has a nice white beam, long run time, and a small package that always finds its way in my pocket whenever I don't want to belt carry a light and was always within arms reach while at home. The Z57 tail cap is a nice addition that replaced the stock Z52 tail cap it came with. Depending on where you buy a new E1e they now come with a Z57 if they have the new stock on hand. The beam on the KL1 Generation 3 is more of a flood when compared to the latest KL1 Generation 4 which is more of a spot with little side spill. I personally like the Gen. 3s for medium to close up work.

E2e/Z57 Good incan. light one of my first SF lights….thrown in just to show the different sizes, now used mainly as a back up in my fanny pack to the LEDs

L4/McES2 (30ohm) in a stock Z52 tail cap/E2O clip. This is the light that goes to work with me in a belt sheath used to check equipment and when taking inventory in the stock room and freezer. It has a really nice white FLOOD beam. I guess I lucked out cause on high I don't see the dreaded donut hole even on a white wall …on low the 30 ohm is a little too dim for my tastes and that nasty donut hole starts to show ….stick with the 22 ohm. The tint is really nice on the E1e and bright for a 123 body, but like I said I think I got lucky with this L4 Head. This is a nice light to EDC due to its size, which is just about my limit.

KL1/Vital Gear 3x123 This light lives in my truck's center console as an emergency light with SUPER looooonnnnnggg regulated run time and long battery storage in high heat conditions. With its wide beam is great for looking under the hood or inside glove box. The tint is a little on the blue side so it will go off the CHOP later to mod with a warmer tint.

As you can see I am more of a flood to throw person when it comes to compact lights….something to think about for your KL1 head purchase ( older or newer head ).

Disadvantages for the Exx series, these lights have none…..they do their job quite well and are high quality.
I like em….if you don't compare them to the custom lights.

cliff

Newly Enlightened

One big advantage to the 2/CR123 E-type (KL1) light is it will run on Pila 168s rechargeables. Mine is the old style and runs 2 hours & 19 Minutes - but the new one should still go for about 2 hours. With a 2-stage tailcap you could extend this quite a bit (I'm planning to get one of those).

MrMom

Enlightened

I'm seeing around 1Hour 20 Min. running a pila 168s with a Gen4 KL1. The KL4 runs 55 Min. on the same set up.

Remember KL4 = flood - wide beam
KL1 = throw - narrow beam

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Opinions on some different SF \"E\" setups wante

I have a E1 w/old style KL1 and McE2S (60 ohm). I've used a Z57 on this light as well.

I like the E1/KL1 combo. It puts out a useful amount of light in a small package.

My Z57 (early unit) was rather unsmooth but worked OK. I perfer the Z57 over the non-clickie on this light as it is a task light (no "tactical" E1!).

The McE2S is a nifty gizmo (no pun intended!), but I've found it too stiff to be useful. I tried the various tweaks I could find in Don's forum, but I think the combination of the boot material, diameter and the spring strength combine to make it too stiff. In the end, I reverted back to my L1 which is functionally equiv, but with a much more friendly tailcap.

-john

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Opinions on some different SF \"E\" setups wante

couple of stoopid simple ones: I use my E2d tailcap on my E1e, with, and without my KL-1 if i know I may need it for
a ceiling "bounce" light.(sometimes on the road we may have a great dressing room at a large club or hall, sometime's it's as bad as a walk in closet, or liquor store room)
If your flying just to be absolutely sure you don't have a problem, i will swap head's and tail's off the E1e to put on the brighter E2d body to avoid hassle in security. Just make sure you have the right lamp! VDG