Different Luxeon beam patterns in fog...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight was a very, very, foggy night. I decided to see how each beam of different luxeons looked like. Each one uses the Mag Reflector, and each has a different shaped luxeon die.

5W Green Cone shaped beam, widens linearly with distance.
1W Red Orange Straight beam, widens almost nothing at all.
3W White Narrow beam, changes shape and angle with distance. Very narrow at the start, straight in the middle, then widened out right at the end.
3W Cyan Narrow perfectly straight beam. Did not change width at all along the distance of the beam.

It was intersesting to note that this was the only time when you could see the red-oranges beam. I've had some foggy nights but this is near zero visability. Every part of town is in thick fog. When turning on the lights the side spill would mask everything in your vision due to the fog.

Also it was intersting to note the distances of the beams. The beam would stop in the air at a certain point. After this point, if you shined it at a target, you could not see it as the light just ran out of photons as they were all being absorbed by the fog. This just seemed weird as we aren't used to this kind of thing happening.

More data: (current, & distance)
5W Green 600ma, beam was the shortest.
1W Red Orange 370ma, fraction shorter than white.
3W White 314ma, fraction shorter than cyan.
3W Cyan 520ma, longest, perfectly straight & even beam.

If I only had a full amp going to the Cyan, It might have mustered some more distance. The white wouldn't have gained as much I don't think as at the very end of it's beam looked like a ball it spread out so fast and rappidly. Fresh alkalines don't supply decent current for more than 30 seconds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

Hope you all found this interesting!