what gets hotter?

flashniac

Newly Enlightened
first of all thanks to everyone that RE my question on what is LED. Now for the other part, i'm trying to mod a 3D cell flashlight and I would like to know a thing or two:
1. is led more or less hot than incandescent?
2. how many volts can an LED get?
3. what LED would fit best for 3D cell flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hey, Flashniac.

I am too starting to learn how to mod, and for modding info, you could find a lot of reading material/resources in the 'Custom and modified''Dealer and Manufacturer' sections of this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1) That will depend on whether you are 'overdriving' the LED over it's original spec. Generally, LED generates a lot less heat than normal incan bulb(even if both are overdriven)

2) Each LED has its spec, for example, the Luxeon will have different bin code for each LED to tell its brightness, tint color and voltage.

3) There are quite a few ready made drop-in replacement LED for Maglite flashlights. You could find their review in Quickbeam's site or Craig's site. Otherwise, for modding, Lux III or Lux V are popular choices for LED mod.