Does anyone know if these are any good?

MartinT

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experince/knoledge of these torches. I quite like the fact that they run of aaa bateries as I will be using it a lot and will keep the costs down?

web page

Thanks

Martin

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
There have been several threads about this light.

Do a forum search, using the term "MXDL".

The LED is not a genuine Luxeon. Long-term performance is unknown.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Total garbage - I ordered a 1 watt and got a 3 watt (or so it says on the outside). It would not work. It took an hour of fiddling and some fine soldering to fix it. LED is off center - everything about it is cheap junk. Batteries had to be taped into holder to keep them making contact. Very flaky unit. Something was causing the batteries to short out at first - got so hot I am surprised they didn't explode. It sits on my desk so I can wonder how I might someday make it useful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hookd_On_Photons said: Do a forum search, using the term "MXDL".

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparison review with beamshots and discussion in this thread -

MXDL 3Watt "Luxeon" 3AAA from eBay

BargainLEDs.jpg

Perhaps not such a silly comparison beamshot with a Streamlight Scorpion 2x CR123 Xenon
MXDLScorpion.jpg

It is cheap even for a copy of a 3watt "Luxeon" - so beware quality can be a bit of a cr*p-shoot - however, since mine works without problems - I consider for what I paid it's a "bargain" of sorts.

Bargain LEDs

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
MartinT, welcome to CPF and why dontcha stay awhile!

I've never seen one of these in person, but it sounds like you're better served with another light. It just sounds deceptively cheap. Ever see these brethren of yours spend fifty bucks to fix a ten dollar light? Well, okay if it's for sandwiches for the Mag, it's almost understandable, but you don't want to fix an admittedly crappy light. At least the MiniMag has nice fit and finish...

welcome again,
daloosh