LEDCorp 98-3-W 3-cell PR drop-in used with 4AA NiMH's

Illuminated

Enlightened
LEDCorp 98-3-W 3-cell PR drop-in used with 4AA NiMH\'s

Hi-
Recently I e-mailed LEDCorp inquiring about using their 98-3-W Dual LED 3-cell PR-based unit with (4)AA NiMH cells, and they sait that it would work fine. Unfortunately, I haven't purchased one of these @ $18.95 ea. plus shipping, and was wondering if anyone else had already done this. I was thinking of using one in my PT Vortec instead of their long-burn incancescant. I'm thinking that it draws somewhere around 100 mA which is half what the standard bulb draws. I've used the Night Pearl 2-cell in my solo which is O.K., but I usually don't carry both lights at the same time. I like the way the PT textured reflector works, and it's very easy to swap between the halogen and the long-burn setup if you carry the spare reflector/lampholder assembly, ready to drop in.
Thanks to all for the responses to my newbie posts - John

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LEDCorp 98-3-W 3-cell PR drop-in used with 4AA NiMH\'s

I don't know how there's do, but I've bought several of JB's 3 & 4 LED conversion bulbs & have had no trouble running the on 4 NiMH's. John said it could cut their life expentency some, but even if you cut it to 50%, you get 50,000 hrs. I can live with that. Might want to check [email protected] out. He does a great job & can give you 4 6400mcd LED's in a PR base at 4.5V or 6V for about $20. I think he charges $1 or $2 for shipping. Highly recomended. TX

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LEDCorp 98-3-W 3-cell PR drop-in used with 4AA NiMH\'s

Some interesting details on drop in LED replacement bulbs, from my experience.

Best brightness comes when used with D cells. This tells me they are keyed to the internal resistance of the alkaline cells.

I have LEDcorp's Nichia bulbs in my Petzl Zoom and an old 3D cell Radio Shack flashlight. They work great. In my Zoom, I am using Lithium AAs.

My friend just got his 4 cell LEDcorp nichia bulb for his 4D Mag and it works great, even on the mismatched and tired alkalines in it. I bought it for him and he was just over here, yesterday evening. He was pleased enough to make it his primary bulb in the Mag.

I have Versalux PR-2 LED bulbs in my Coleman Peak 1 Expedition Headlamp (2D) and 2D Mag. I am very happy with them.

All of these are single Nichia LED bulbs.

I also have a PT Solo, and have a Matrix Module in it.

My choices are made based on reasonable brightness, and being able to take advantage of Lithium AAs.