Qucik Computer Question

kev1-1

Enlightened
Hi,

I am just building my PC which has a Hiper 425w PSU and a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum motherboard. The PSU has a 24-pin main connector, while the motherboard only has a 20-pin slot. The PSU 24-pin connector fits the slot, but with four pins sticking out. Is this OK???

kev1-1

Enlightened
Thanks very much Lynx_Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Tomshardware sorted me out, my PSU is one of the ones where you can break off the additional 4-pins! Phew!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but Tom's Hardware is not a good resource. Their testing methodologies are often suspect, they sometimes convey wrong information, and their conclusions often do NOT follow the data presented in their articles (and often directly contradict data presented). Their biggest flaw is to convey a 2% difference in performance as "blowing out of the water", or "wins hands down".

In addition, Tom Pabst has a huge ego, and will not admit he is ever wrong. He once told one of the main graphics engine designers of the game Quake 3 (Brian Hook), that he (Tom) knew more about the Q3 graphics engine that Brian had written parts of, and told Brian that he was WRONG about information that Brian had told everyone.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive head that about toms to.but i dodnt know if it is true i kinda went to anandtech after i heard it though

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I remember when Tom's had that "exposé" about the thermal management issues in early Athlons (video of a processor bursting into flame a second after the heatsink/fan were removed)... only AMD had known about the problem for years and even mentioned the hazard in some of their literature.

Oops.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I like tomshardware for the reviews and agree they *hype* things there and seemingly at times tend to favor certain *brands* and types of things over others. Since I was a system integrator at one time I tend to look at the wide spectrum instead of the *best* unless it is a brand I am familiar with I take recommendations with a grain of salt because many review sites give the *nod* to something if it is as previous said... 2% better. To me 2% means literally nothing if the brand isn't trusted by me. I typically glean sites to find flaws and weed out problem hardware as much as getting recommendations. Too many review sites FAIL to include even half of the available hardware out there, telling you their *roundup* is the best when only 20% of the products are being reviewed, of those 20% only perhaps 4 out of 10 available locally in stores which doesn't help the average local buyer. Essentially reviews tend to be useless when you are going to best buy, compusa, circuit city, frys, costco, sams... etc.

I typically use review sites now to get an idea of technology less than *best* brands for products. I enjoy anandtechs buying guide for PCs for both high and value systems but notice he also *favors* certain brands over others at times. Almost ALL integrators have their favorite brands and when it is a toss up (tie) their favorite brand wins, me included.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good information Lynx. As for Toms, well I think the advice applies for any review site, read the information, analyze it yourself, and come to your own conclusion.

Latest posts