Diamond Lambertian or Side Emitting for MagLite?

velvetfoot

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've done some searching but...I haven't found the answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am thinking of buying a regulated diamond 1w maglite bulb. Which works better in the maglite? It seems from www.flashlightreviews.com that the side emitting version has more output but less throw along with a beam that I guess is typical for side emitters. I also saw a post that said something negative about the lambertian model. I'm confused and don't want to spend money on something that won't perform well. Any actual experience would really help.

Thanks.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Everleds in my Mags and have never tried a Diamond brand, but I think the results would be similar. It comes down to which light pattern you prefer. A side emitter will give you a very large bright central hotspot and considerably dimmer spill light. A Lambertian will give a small, well defined hotspot and smooth, bright spill light.

If you decide on the side emitter you'll probably want to obtain a sputtered reflector. With a stock reflector the central hotspot will look like a sunburst with a lot of rays shooting out from it and you might find this distracting. A well-sputtered reflector will smooth this out so that you'll have a large round central spot with few artifacts.

velvetfoot

Newly Enlightened
Cool!

I just wish they were a little less $.

Is it true that the EverLed drops out suddenly, to support NiCad? The PR base makes them flexible.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Is it true that the EverLed drops out suddenly, to support NiCad? The PR base makes them flexible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand your question. Could you restate it?

taiji

Enlightened
I have a 3D mag w/ a 3 watt Diamond Lambertian and it is bright with at least 200' throw at tight focus and a nice spill(?) for lighting up the bedroom at night. It replaced a Garrity xenon bulb and it is comparable to that except the light is white vs. yellowish. Very nice. I also have a 5 watt Maglite from quality_items.com in transit.