never should have gotten out of bed

turbodog

Flashaholic
Guess we all have days like this. Something goes wrong, and then things get worse.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

For what it's worth, I think the very last frame is an edit. The others appear real though, and that's bad enough.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
omg i needed thqat laugh thats so funny thanks for posting .

prego

Newly Enlightened
haha! definitely had a good laugh! if it was real, i hope nobody got seriously hurt.

turbodog

Flashaholic
All pictures except the last look real. I don't see an ambulance or a hearse so things look ok enough.

prego

Newly Enlightened
It's a good thing that orange boat didn't get squashed or something.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Yeah, the last frame is most definetly an edit.

The people, the white boat, and the vehicles in the background are in the same position as in the 5th picture, after the little crane went in.

The big crane has some pretty long out-riggers and a hefty arm. I'd guess that the little crane is way under the weight limit, even with a 90 degree lift.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides, the last frame with the second crane falling in looks completely fake and photoshopped.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Why do some of the photos have branches in the foreground but others shot from the same angle don't?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
From what I can tell, the ones with the branches were taken from a vantage point further to "our" right. Note the alignment with the sea wall

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you turbodog! Very funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif (and sad)

The fake picture is an edited version of the fifth pic from the top. (the one showing crane No1 alone in the water before crane No2 arrives)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked for a company that sells truck mounted aerial equipment. Not uncommon for folks to abuse the equipment. Although some newer trucks have alarms and eventalk to you to tell you you are in danger or loosing stability or will not allow you to move the boom, others do not and will allow you to flip the truck. Most have a weight limit three times the rated limit and all will function till something breaks.

Nothing like a guy using a step ladder in a bucket of a bucket truck to reach something or putting a fork lift on the legs or a second fork lift to reach something up high.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Nothing like a guy using a step ladder in a bucket of a bucket truck to reach something or putting a fork lift on the legs or a second fork lift to reach something up high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I nominate BOTH of those examples as Darwin Award WINNERS!

Most of the modern cranes would not allow for what we see in those pics. The first one truly might have failed due to collapse of the seawall.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a SWAG...

The first truck appears to not have any outriggers extended (if it even was equipped??)... Instead, it started the lift almost straight over the cab. Then it appears to rotate the load to 90 degrees off the side of the truck.

Fore/aft stability is pretty good. Left/right stability is much poorer due to the rectangular form factor of the truck's wheel locations.

Notice that the truck is leaning heavily towards the load (first towards the front, then towards the right as the boom was rotated--another indication that outriggers are not extended). The operator was probably swinging the load over towards the rear of the truck to load the van on the rear platform and as it approached a 90 degree lift off the side of the truck--the results were obvious.

In the low-res pictures that I am looking at, I don't think the seawall failed. Notice that the second truck has one outrigger in the same location as where the first truck was placed--would not have been placed there if there was already a failure in the wall.

-Bill