Popping the Ultrastinger lens

Luna

Enlightened
I realize the SL want you to use the $80 tool but I have read of others knocking them out themselves. The intent is to play with overdriving the US bulb a bit and I know that I will be burning out a few lens while I'm at it.

-Craig

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You might not burn out the lens of the Ultrastinger, though their is a possibility of popping the bulb, over driving it at 7.2+ volts, vs 6+ volts of stock battery. Streamlight has good luck with their plastic lens in the 35X, which puts out 20+ watts.

Bill

Luna

Enlightened
Well maybe it won't be too bad with the stocker, but you know that I can't stop there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I still need to replace the lens that I screwed up the usual way (left on in a contained area). I'd knock it out but I'm trying my best to not mess up the reflector.

-Craig

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you are in USA you can send it in, or take it in to a Streamlight warranty shop. See web site for addresses, phone numbers. Also probably available overseas.

Bill

Luna

Enlightened
I just did it the hard way: A punch and rubber mallet on top of a 10lb Olympic weight plate(the lens needs somewhere to fall and the weight happened to work fine). Just don't let the punch touch the reflector.

Putting it back in was a little more of a challenge. I just cleaned up the edge of the lens with sandpaper and pressed it one with a small plastic ramekin (I got it at a walmart grocery for cheap) that was just about a perfect fit for the circumference of the lens. This took a while to finally get into place. You only want pressure at the edges and it had to be precisely distributed, so no hammers!

Next time I will just put a bolt thru the center of the ramekin and use a drill press to press the lens in (and pop it out). I guess I could weld a bolt to a proper size socket head too. Also, if you need to sand the lens edge any, do it with the protective paper on.

I'd love to just thread the outside and put on a cap with o-ring so that I could put a glass lens on it.

-CAL