LED Light Question

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for an LED light but have no idea where to start. I was wondering if any of you could help.

The factors I need would be:

- Very tough!!!! I manage to do allota crap to my lights.

- Waterproof. Or nearly waterproof to the point where I can easily fix it to be.

-LED of course

-VERY bright!!! Throw is a must!

-under $150

I was thinking about the TSP but I didn't like some of the factors about it.

Sorry if this is to narrow, but any response would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Baker

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T3 only has 85 lumens. I was kinda hoping for at least double that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The Inova T3 only has 85 lumens. I was kinda hoping for at least double that

[/ QUOTE ]
Good gried! At least you aren't asking for much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What exactly is it about the Tri Star Phaser that you don't like?

vtunderground

Enlightened
Ok... How about the Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer (216 Lumens), or QuadStar (288 Lumens). Actually, maybe a modded Maglite would be bright enough?

wintermute

Enlightened
Well, the Quad really is a modded Maglight, and its right at the $150 price point you set. Check it out.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
How about:

Elektrolumens Blaster IIIP $50

Nuwai ALX-352L (Luxeon V) $90

Inova LX 3.0 $50

Or buy them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The QUAD should be a really awesome choice. If I had $150, I'd get a QUAD.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, maybe I was a little harsh with the 170 lumens+ thing. But, oonly a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But, now that I've looked around a bit I see that the TSP is a REALLY good deal. 216 lumens for $120. That's amazing compared to most the stuff I've seen. The thing that got me was the idea that the botton is pretty cheap and bad. I know that is not much, but it is exactly the kind of thing that would annoy me.(geez I'm wierd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif). Also, I here that it isn't very waterproof and I would certainly need it to be waterproof. Is there any way I could change O-rings or something along those lines to make it waterproof?

Also, I was checking out the TEKTITE EXCURSION LS4. Is that any good? The LED Museum seems to like it.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
For that money, and a few phone calls, a SureFire L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Is Surefire really claiming 100 lumens out the front for an L2? I wonder if they're starting to use exaggerated ratings like certain other manufacturers. Their ratings all used to be based on actual output measurements in an integrating sphere. And general wisdom was that the most you could get out of a LuxV was about 70 lumens unless they're overdriving it pretty severely, which would impact runtime. Have LED's gotten better?

Anyway, the throw champ of readily available 1-led lights is probably the Aleph 3.

gessner17

Enlightened
Also depends on the size you want, if you are looking for a bulkier light, the LS4 and TSP last in incredible on one set of batteries and seem to have an infinate time of negligable light. An L4 is nice but you only have an hour on high. I have them both and they are very nice.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically above 100+ lumens you are going to have to switch to a multi-LED setup unless you can get an X-bin Luxeon. Even then, 190 effective lumens derated by 30% is only 133 effective lumens.

Wayne is a great guy, but the TSP's rating is quoted as LED lumens, not lumens after they leave the light. 216 * 0.7 = 151 effective lumens. Surefire is quoting effective lumens after they leave the light, and measured using an integrating sphere. That having been said, it doesn't take anything away from the TSP, which is still excellent value for money.

LEDs simply aren't the ticket if you need ridiculous amounts of light. LEDs are practical little things.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif that's why I have a Mag85 for all those days when I need insane amounts of light and the U2 for all the days when I need to actually get real work done... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif the strength of LEDs is in the fact that they never burn out, confer long runtimes (for a given battery) and reasonable amounts of light.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two good options, both from Elektrolumens. One is the Tristar Phaser, which you know about. The other is the Blaster 3P, which out-throws the TSP due to its' tighter beam - yes, I've compared, since I have them both. Overall the TSP is more useful (for me, anyway) in that it's more of an area light. And it pumps out photons like nobodys' business. Turn that puppy on in a dark room and it's like someone flipped the lights on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However the tailcap switch on the TSP is not going to be easy to waterproof. The 3P might be better if watertightness, or the the potential for it, is very important. I wouldn't worry about the TSP (or the 3P for that matter) in the rain though.

Mike

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throwing Waterproof LED = Pelican Sabrelite LED. If you can expand your price range, the Barbolite would be nice too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Barbolight U-09 would be perfect but it's like $300 with the rechargeable battery right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a prefabricated light, try the Elektrolumens TSP, EL Quad, or the Inretech Trilight3. Alternatively you could roll your own, with all the issues that come with it.

The Trilight3 is good because if you trash the Mag housing, just buy a new Mag and move the Trilight over.