Dorcy 4AA "Solid State"

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy 4AA \"Solid State\"

Several searches only led to Dorcy's 1AAA LED's.

Today I bought, for $3.89, ($14 "list") a single LED, plastic bodied, "large" reflectored Dorcy. They claim 200 hours of R/T and I suspect a long R/T is possible because this light puts out about as much as an Ultra G or similar. However, most of it is in a spot rather than an even flood. The body is a bit fat, as though a D cell may be inside. The LED is potted in a PR base and the tip of the LED appears translucent instead of clear. Perhaps this scatters the light sideways into the reflector a la Lambertian. The reflector does work and focuses the dim light into a spot.

I don't recall reading about this light and bought it, STRICTLY, for the advancement of illumination knowledge. It's dim for its size but not for the price. Anyone else have this yellow with black rubber bodied light?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy 4AA \"Solid State\"

I have one,, or, er, had. The bulb has been transplanted. But as far as those light go, mine was called 'cool blue' IIRC, they are nice. GREAT for kids, rugged, and plenty of run-time.
Jeff
BTW, where did you get it for $4

idleprocess

Flashaholic

'Seen it, but there's something about a light that large with a mere 5mm LED that I balk at...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

41-2498%20bulk.jpg

www.dorcy.com

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened

This was one of my first LED lights.(eight bucks then) It's kinda' primitive compared to everything else we have now but I still keep this in my "truck" assortment. The 5mm is ground down and although it's an extremely narrow spot, it's got a lot of throw for a 5mm with no separate optic. Also, it floats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wwglen

Enlightened

GREAT for kids...

Large enough to hold on.
Soft to chew on.
Not to bright if they look at it.
LONG run time if they forget to cut it off.
Won't hurt to bad if they hit their siblings.
Bulb works good in a Barbie touch light for a night light.(had to put the bulb in backward).

At $3.98 I would buy 3-4.

Where did you get it?

wwglen.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

No wonder my search didn't find this light - I limited the time to the last year.

It was the last one at a locally owned sporting goods store.

I bought the light because it seemed like a novelty, it was cheap, it could be stashed in the trunk or garage and it was still January and I didn't buy a new light. Got off cheap this month!

greenLED

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
wwglen said:
Won't hurt to bad if they hit their siblings.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

moraino

Enlightened

Try to replace the bulb with a 3 cell Krypton. You will love the brightness and throw although typical Incan yellowish.

PJ

Enlightened

I swapped the bulb out from the Dorcy Cool Blue into a Dorcy 4AA adjustable lantern I found at Wallyworld for about 3 bucks. It doesn't have a very even pattern when in lantern mode but it'll run forever.