stupid very stupid questiuon

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what is job of British Throne. like say prince harry some day gets this job autumatimacaly? what does he govern then?

14C

Enlightened
These days they are kind of like Hollywood celebrities. Not many real powers even if some think they have it yet loved and adored by millions and hounded by papparazzi. I'd feel much more sorry for Harry after his little party fiasco if he was not so priveleged. He really should have known better. Then again the Royals are insulated a lot from reality like the Hollywood "upper class".

Duncan

Newly Enlightened
While the Royal family still has "powers", generally they act on status-quo for the large part. In reality, the Queen could refuse to sign a bill that goes through parliament, although it is highly unlikely to happen. If the Queen were to not sign a bill it would have to be something really stupid that managed to get through the House of Lords and the House of Commons. Say for example, they all go insane and declare they would like to sell off all of England to Germany...then she could reject it. Basically, she doesn't really even sign all the bills personally, but instead signs a general document saying that she has given Royal Assent to a list of pending bills that she has glanced over (this is announced in the parliament). In Canada, the representative of the Queen (the Governer General - Adrienne Clarkson) fulfills two important roles. Firstly, she represents Canada globally, and is usually travelling on tours to meet other Heads of State. Secondly, the really important role she does is disolve parliament come election time. She is also technically (I think) in command of the Armed Forces, being the highest ranking officer in Canada (but she doesn't give the orders to Generals).

Probably the most well known role for the Queen in England is that she is the head of the Church of England.

Hope this helps,

-Duncan

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone remember that the Queen does diddly in America! Here in Australia she has the same role as Duncan described for Canada (except that the Governor General is Peter Geoffrey).

BTW raggie, you have no idea how glad I am to see you closer to your normal self again. I was really worried about you man!