USPS & Delivery Confirmation

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning there was a package at my front door from the USPS. Not only was it delivered to the wrong street address 1983 mine is 1993, but it was the wrong street entirely. I notice the package had delivery confirmation so I tracked it and sure enough it showed as being delivered. My only point in the story is that USPS Del conf. Is worthless. Had I not brought it to the next street over they would have never seen the package and it would have shown as being delivered.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Dude, thanks. That sucks. And the buyer would get all crazy cuz it said delivered, the seller would point to the del conf, and the USPS would sit by doin' nothin'.

But I guess that's all we got, so what can we do? Aside from send everything with return receipt insured, which no one would want to pay for?

sigh
daloosh

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
And return receipt doesn't help either. For example in this case it would show jtivat. The seller would say it was delivered, find jtivat and you have your package. The buyer would have no idea who that person was, or where to look. And this is even assuming he signed using a correct name.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Years ago I had a problem with that. I had an old truck sitting in the side yard that did not run and the mail person put a package in the front seat then put a note on the side door we never use (till winter to carry firewood in) to let us know where the package was. It sat in the truck for 2 maybe 3 months before I found it. It turned out OK in the end and no doubt the mail person thought they did the right thing by putting in the truck and went out of their way to leave a personal note as to where it was. After that I sold the truck and learned to check all doorways. I had to make a couple calls to the seller to repay for the items and make sure they did not re-ship I had been refunded already.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glenn

Enlightened
I has United Parcel pkg coming and was checking the tracking.
It showed it as being delivered.
I checked all three doors, the shrubbery, etc. at least three times and then I phoned them.
At least they did track it down.
It was delivered to the same street number on another street !

They wanted to have the driver retrieve it the next day and redeliver. I told them "no thanks....I'll run up the street and get it".

Glenn

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Glenn said:
I has United Parcel pkg coming and was checking the tracking.
It showed it as being delivered.
I checked all three doors, the shrubbery, etc. at least three times and then I phoned them.

At least they did track it down.
It was delivered to the same street number on another street !

They wanted to have the driver retrieve it the next day and redeliver. I told them "no thanks....I'll run up the street and get it".

Glenn

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing has happened to me several times, as recent as last week.
MORONS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtivat - I agree with you totally and have said the same thing many times - D/C is worthless because there is no recourse. It's a scam and no better than buying credit card insurance. The PO can deliver it wrong or worse yet, trash it or steal it and SAY that it was delivered.

I wish that we would set an official policy on CPF about shipping and liability and responsibility.

I have no idea what Pocketbeam is referring to, but if you insure a package and the receiver does not receive it, you file a claim and the sender is reimbursed. It's a PITA and takes quite a while, but that's what insurance is for. On insured packages $50 and under, no signature is required for delivery, but it's the same thing - if it's not received by who it was sent to - you collect from insurance. In fact, with the non signature under $50 insurance, the waiting period to make a claim is only 30 days.

In my experiences in buying and selling, the seller is responsible to provide a non damaged delivered item. That doesn't seem to be the norm here.

To cover all of my bases, if I list an item for sale that I don't intend to insure or be responsible for, I state that I will not be liable for loss or damage w/o insurance.

I just bought an item that was listed with 1st class USPS shipping included. When I paid for it, I included another $1.50 with instructions to insure it for $50, because I'm not willing to accept the risk of loss.

Face it, the entire reason that this is an issue, is because insurance jacks up the selling price by $1.30-$3.20 (and more) and makes the item that's being sold look more expensive. This is one of the few places that I buy from that when I look at the selling price, I perceive that price as my final price. Almost any other place that I buy from, I see the cost of the item and then have to figure in the shipping.

I have shipped and received many items here on CPF and been very fortunate, but not w/o casualties. I've had a Priority Mail item shipped to me w/ D/C that never made it (at least D/C never showed it as delivered). I've done 2 fairly large BP GBs and had only one lost (2 small clips to Canada).

I've been reimbursed by insurance for a lost charger that was returned to Maha and have a claim started for an international package to another CPFer that has been lost. International claims are a whole different thing. It'll take 3-6 months to collect, but at least it's not a complete loss. BTW the shipping fees for the internatl package was over $24 and then add another $2.60 for insurance.

This is a topic that I'd like to see an official policy at least "recommended."

S4MadMan

Enlightened
JT, sorry about your bad experience. I guess I've been fortunate. Over the years, I've sold and sent over 5,000 items via USPS PMWDC. Not *once* did I ever have a problem.

*MadMan knocks on wood*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a similar issue with my package this week.
Bought 10x LuxV from ebay with priority express USPS.
Tracking indicated delivered on 01/12.
Called up USPS & seller for clarification redelivered 01/15 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kitelights, I was just saying that return receipt doesn't garantee the package will or did make it to the right place. And it doesn't help you find your package if lost.

As for tips, why don't the ones with expieriance post a tip or two and then we can combine those together?

My only shipping/receiving/Paying tip is that you can get a USPS VHS sized box for free when you get the $3.85 priority mail stamp. (I have only used this once so far.)

Oh, I guess I could also warn about the scam where someone wants to buy something from you, but also wants you to forward money to a friend he owes money to. So he will send you a money order for mroe then the item, so you can send then extra money to the friend. Of course in a few weeks, the money order bounces and your account is deducted.