E2e + old or new KL1?

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
New guy question here.

I have obtained an older E2e and want to upgrade to an LED head for reliability. As mostly an EDC (and camping light) my main goals would be: 1) long burn time, and 2) good spill.

I understand the new KL1 heads have good times, but no spill. The KL4 heads have "bad" times and good spill.

To get close to what I want should I look for an older KL1 head? If so which "generation".

Whew. My head is spinning with all the info available on this site!

R.
Cheyenne, WY

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like an old Kl1 would be best for you. There are pretty much 4 "generations" of the KL1.

The first generation has no scallops along the top of the bezel and uses a LD lux.

The second generation has scallops along the top of the bezel and uses a LD.

The third generation has scallops along the top of the bezel and uses a HD.

The fourth generation looks like a KL4 and uses the new optic, producing little side spill.

If you go with generation 1 or 2 tint can be a problem. Personally I would go with generation 3 as it has a little more throw because of the HD lux and the tints tend to be better. One thing some people don't like it the fact that the beam, when given the white wall test, shows up as a diamond in a circle. This is not very noticeable, along with slight tint variations, in actual use.

Another option to consider is a modified Kl1. There are several local modders that will do the work, and I think they there are a few on BST now too. You would probably want a lower current setting for longer runtime. You can then opt for a reflector instead of an optic for more flood and less throw or use a different optic to configure the beam to your liking. Hope this helps.

-Mike

PJ

Enlightened
Maybe a new KL1 with a diffuser on it? That way you'd have throw if you need it. I haven't used one so maybe someone else can check in on its usefulness. I do have an E1e with KL1 and it is a great little light.
------------------------------------------------
Surefire calls the diffuser an F04 Beamshaper, sells for $ 12.00 on their website.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generation 3 is the best. This is the whitest KL1, with the high dome Luxeon emitter for the best beam, while retaining the flood you're after.

The MicroFAQ (in my signature) has a link under Surefire lights to the breakdown of the different generations.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I've also been thinking about an "upgrade" for my E2e.

Is the Aleph 2 a viable option? I understand it's got more of a flood beam.

Mark

When I said "flood", I was comparing it to what I had heard about the Aleph 1 head...just kept that part to myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I've since been told that Aleph parts do indeed match up to the E2 series.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Niteowl.

I have an Aleph2 2x123(DB917), and the spot is quite decent with some side spill. Though it might not be the tightest spot ever, I probably would not call it a flood instead of a spot light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

scuba

Enlightened
Niteowl,

To me the Aleph2 is the perfect combination of throw and spill. I have a NG500 and couldn't be happier with it. I also have a E2e with both the xenon and the KL1 heads. They are all great but I end up carrying and using my Aleph the most for general use. It really is a top product.