A Step in the Right Direction

s0crates82

Newly Enlightened
http://www.ledcorp.com/1156.html

Now all we need are RED 1156's, AMBER 1156's and RED 1157's.

A white 1156 is useful as a reverse/back up light... but not really for anything else because you'll be bandpassing blue-biased light thru a amber or red filter. Wasteful.

Someone with a penchant for soldering could easily swap a <font color="orange">Amber</font> or <font color="red">Red</font> Star onto one of these bases, but that would be further adding to the already $35 pricetag.

When the Red and Amber ones are available, I'll bite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Interesting. I noticed that the LED automotive lamps at Wally World carry a disclaimer for off-road use only. I wonder if this lamp carries the same disclaimer. I don't think I've seen any aftermarket automotive LEDs that carry DOT approval yet.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Interesting. I noticed that the LED automotive lamps at Wally World carry a disclaimer for off-road use only. I wonder if this lamp carries the same disclaimer. I don't think I've seen any aftermarket automotive LEDs that carry DOT approval yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key, I think. Not only are the heat, temperature, vibration and similar performances a hassle to deal with, but DOT needs not only total light out (which I suspect the LEDs are way short on), but also color and dispersion.

Bummer is, the burden for staying legal is on the owner. Put 'homebrew' lights on your ride, and some clown could get out of rear ending you 'cuz your lighting wasn't up to specs......

Years a go I had a CHP buddy that had some real examples of this from hot rods and choppers. In one case, a chopper rider's family lost their lawsuit for a fatal head on collision with a car in the center 'left turn only' lane becuase the headlight wasn't kosher. The court held it contribuitory, and 'let the driver off'.

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
s0crates82 said:
Well, OSRAM Sylvania is working on direct LED replacements for standardized bulbs, and has developed a new standard that will soon be implemented. Both are likely to use Golden Dragons, and both will be DOT/MOT legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when their standard becomes DOT then it becomes a horse (or in this case, tail light) of a different color.

For now, none are legal, and never have been. Right?

Doug Owen