Q3 Reflector - maybe I ruined it?

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
To take the reflector out of the head of my new Q3 I did the baggie in the hot water deal. Some water leaked into the bag and got into the head. I was able to get it apart. Since it was a little wet, I wiped the reflector out with a cotton t-shirt. Now part of the reflector (about 1/3 of the bezel end) is milky looking and the beam is not as nice as it was before. Did I ruin it? Can I fix it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch!

Time for a new reflector.... unless you have a means of polishing it to mirror smoothness. Never wipe a reflector, as I learned with my E1e. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The upshot is that an IMS 17 or 20mm reflector may fit, and they are only $5, with excellent beam quality. Check out PhotonFanatic's thread in B/S/T lights.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try to carefully clean it with a Q-tip dipped in Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) -- assuming there is just some residue on the reflector, and you don't have destroyed the surface structure.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Ouch!

Time for a new reflector.... unless you have a means of polishing it to mirror smoothness. Never wipe a reflector, as I learned with my E1e. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned that the hard way with my PM6 and PM6 LED. A soft cotton cloth took the coating right off.

BBL

Enlightened
I learned that with my 2D maglite... seems i was lucky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
I changed mine with an 20mm reflector and a glass lens, it now throws better and spots a brighter beam.

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
Another "learned my lesson" post...

I did this with my 2C m@g modded with a red Luxeon and only made little circular scratches in it with no real apparent beam changes.

Oh and elgarak, I wouldn't try using a q-tip as you can still drag little chunks of dust (or whatever you're trying to clean off) causing little scratches or even make the reflector layer peel off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) the only way to clean a reflector without damaging it is to use distilled water (maybe with soap?) in a squirt bottle and letting the reflector air dry (upside down). I wouldn't use alcohol because it tends to leave a residue after it drys (or maybe I only use cheap stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

wintermute

Enlightened
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol should not leave any type of residue when it dries. If yours does, throw it out. It is contaminated with something.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havent learned this the hard way YET and I hope not to. I recall someone saying that the better way to clean reflectors is splash it with water, but NEVER rub it with anything. After splashing it a bit with water, let it dry in the sun or with a blow dryer.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
Well....... Thanks for the information. I know some of you feel my pain. (oooo.... it hurts...) I have ordered another reflector.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you ordered a new reflector, why not take a polishing wheel and some Flitz to your current one and see what kind of beam it can produce when its smooth and polished.

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
Btw, how do I get the reflector out of the head? Is it screwed or sealed with loctite, too ???

I´m no fan of fast and violent approaches, so I´m asking first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...

And if I´m already asking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif: Does anybody know, what type of replacement-lens fits? Any of the lenses from flashlightlens.com? thanks!

AW

Newly Enlightened
Ziplock bagged and boiling for couple minutes will loosen the loctite. Any 22mm lens may fit. I modded mine with a 22mm glass lens from the Shoppe.