Where to buy 50w HID ballasts for Thor mod?

lotsalumens

Enlightened
(I just posted this in another area, realized this area was more on topic, but for some reason can't delete the first. Sorry for two posts!)

Hi all,

I just joined the CPF after reading many of the threads on high powered flashlights and modifications (long an interest of mine!). I recently got a Thor 10mcp and I'd like to make the HID mod to it since it appears pretty straightforward. My question though is where do you buy your 50w boost ballasts? I search these forums and found mention of the Auerswald and KenRad(?) ballasts but haven't found out much else. I have done a ton of web searching tonight and can't find any dealers who sell these or other 50w ballasts. Maybe my search criteria is faulty but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank very much for any help!

lotsalumens

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Supreme Power and Kenrad both sell the Auerswald ballast, I've been in contact with both and they're outta stock as Auerswald updates this product. The new product is supposed to be better than the current 35/50w boost. Not sure what the price will be but the 35/50 was in the low $200 range. With the dollar at record lows, don't expect the new product to be any less.

I've resigned myself to *only* 35 watts for now. You can get a bulb AND ballast for $150 or so on ebay or at a junk yard, so I'm likely to take my $ and instead make a Maglight sized 10 watt HID.....

S4MadMan

Enlightened
I'm working with a subsidiary of Matsushita/Panasonic on making a 35/55 watt D2S set-up that will be more robust than the Auerswald System set-up.

Yes, 55watt not 50 watt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There have been some delays but I hope to have some prototypes by late February. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif