Reactor Rant

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
After reading many of the posts regarding affordable Luxeons, I decided to pick up a CMG Reactor today(as a gift). To say I was disappointed would be an extreme understatement.

I popped in a couple of batteries, just to test it out while I had the chance(felt obligated...you guys know). The Reactor was compared to an E2e/KL1, LI, Eternalight Ergo, and an Arc LE. There's really no reason to mention how it fared against the KL1 and the LI. The Eternalight blew it away and even the Arc AAA was brighter. My Arc is used infrequently, it's batteries are going on a year old, and it was brighter than the CMG with fresh alkalines!

Even if I got a lemon, it's performance was ridiculously bad by any standard. If you were stranded out in the dark, it would only be slightly better than nothing at all. I'm giving the CMG Reactor a big
icon13.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Wulong,

You may have simply gotten a Reactor with an unusually inferior Luxeon. However, even if it was a decent Luxeon, the Reactor must be fed with lithiums to function at its best. Many Flashaholics have had a similar reaction and I would ask you to withold judgment until you've tried it with (fresh) lithiums. Yes, they're more expensive, but with a 30hr+ (measured) useable runtime and greatly increased brightness, you may find that lithiums are surprisingly cost effective in this particular flashlight.

Brightnorm

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm,

I have read about the success people have had using lithiums in the Reactor. The likelihood of this one getting fed lithiums was very low, as it was to be a gift.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I did try it later with lithium batteries. It was brighter, but only marginallly brighter than the Eternalight, and still a disappointment.

On a more positive note, The Reactor certainly gave me a greater appreciation of the other lights I own.

...think I'll give the Newbeam or Streamlight 4AA a try.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the Reactor prices vs. the $55 MrBulk sells the LGI for....

The LGI will absolutly blow that thing out of the water.. I'd rather have just 1 LGI instead of a dozen Reactors!! (assuming I couldn't re-sell the Reactors of course)
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Wulong,

I bought several Reactors for presents, checked them all out and kept the best one for myself.
It's a reasonably bright Luxeon approximately as bright as an X5, but it runs forever on lithiums.
I consider it an excellent around the house and survival light.

I will feel the same way about the Inretech dropin
as soon as they get around to dealing with the waterproof issue.

It sounds as though your Reactor is truly a lemon. Send it back. I'm sure that Patrick and Mike will treat you fairly.

Brightnorm
Originally posted by Slick:
Consider the Reactor prices vs. the $55 MrBulk sells the LGI for....

The LGI will absolutly blow that thing out of the water.. I'd rather have just 1 LGI instead of a dozen Reactors!! (assuming I couldn't re-sell the Reactors of course)
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Slick,

I just got my LGI and it is remarkably bright, but you really can't compare it to a Reactor or similar product.

Mr. Bulk selects only the choicest Luxeons and powers them with 3 AA's producing the brightest LED light that I've ever seen.It's so bright that he's able to use it as a duty light. Of course, the run time isn't very long.

The Reactors, Inretechs, etc are meant to be "Everyman" lights. Frankly, if I had to be out in rough country under unpredictable circumstances for an unknown period, and was only able to take an AA flashlight with no extra batteries, I would choose the Reactor or the MAGAA/Inretech. They are "adequarely bright and will run continuously for a very long time

Brightnorm

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok...I will join this Reactor Rant. Mine is the Puke green everyones been talking about. I kinda like it! To me it looks like ''Night vision green''even with the lithiums.

bucken

Enlightened
Let me just add my .02...

I got a Reactor when they first became available. Was very disappointed in the light with alkalines. Also didn't notice much difference with lithiums. What really made it SHINE, however, is when I inserted 2 N's + 1 AAA to drive it. The LGI (and others), of course, are much better, but you've got to realize that the Reactor was really made for the masses, and for the most part, seems to be a decent value for the $. Most of them just seem to be underdriven.

The higher voltage really brings the brightness out of it. I use it a lot to look through old boxed accumulations in the basement. Have never ran it for extended lengths of time, but have run it for 15-20 minutes at a time, with no noticeable overheating.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You definitely got a bum Reactor. There's now way it should be dimmer than an Arc AAA. Mine is brighter than the 3 LED PT Attitude and dimmer than my 10 LED Versalux ULM. Lithium's also made a difference. I decided to keep it, because it seems like I got a decent Luxeon, but now it won't even turn on. Guess it's going back to CMG for warranty work.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say you got a bad Reactor. I got mine today, & with lithiums, it's very good. A litle green, but only if you compare it to a blue led light. When you use it by itself, it seems fine. I wouldn't bother to get it unless I intended to run lithiums.

Stefan

Enlightened
I don't know if mine is bad or not. It doesn't seem noticeably brighter than my Impact, or Attitude. But, I notice the brightness when shining this outside... has a farther throw than the PT's. Desparately wanting Lithiums for mine (I see a long, cold winter in front of me).

beamer

Newly Enlightened
I got mine when they first came out.Lithiums made a noticable difference.I've wanted to try Bucken's battery combo but was afraid of blowing it.Now that I have 8 other luxeon lights I am more apt to try.Has anyone else used 2N's + 1AAA with good results?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today from darkgear. No chance to check it out yet. will post when i do. I did put some alkalines I found in it and shone it under my desk, did seem dim, but want to try it out in the dark.

RAH

Newly Enlightened
I had originally planned to buy a Reactor, but after reading all the stories about how variable the Luxeons are - not just in Reactors, but it seems to me all over - I decided not to take the chance. I'm surprised that people still seem enthusiastic about them after all the trouble you hear about them and their green-color urine beam. Yuck. I got a Newbeam instead. It's nice. About 50% brighter than an Infinity Ultra, I'd say.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 2 with the new switch, and was very happy with both. I gave one to a friend, who is very happy with it. I guess I got lucky with the Luxeons in these. I kept the one with the tight hotspot.
grin.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried mine out last night with fresh alkalines (MAxells). I liked it. It is brighter than my PT Attitude,has longer throw, but makes the PT's "blueish" color seem whiter when they are compared side by side. Also compared it to my Lightwave 2000 and the CMG seems a little brighter. Pretty good for a single LED against a 4 and 3 LED setup.

The spot is much larger than the PT's. I like how it is a perfect circle when I shine it on the wall. It does seem to have that greenish tint to the light, but I also am reminded of a post I read talking about how we perceive lights and colors. Also the greenish color only seems evident (to me) when used up close. I also tried it outdoors in the dark too. I was satisfied.

Yes it is a "everyman's" light. I'm not that thrilled with the head or the twist on. I can feel the "on" detent, but it doesn't seem that positive of a lock to me, but it still works as intended. I will have to get some lith batts this weekend and try it.

Compared to my Pal, the Pal is brighter, but the spot is smaller, and I feel that the Reactor is more efficient in that it has much more of a flood effect for close work. I would use it as a walking light. The PT's advantage is it being smaller and more easily carried. I like it for what it is, a longer running general purpose light with a good flood spot that runs on cheap batteries. For serious work I would use the Scorpion or my E1.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"Santa" mailman just brought mine to the door! I've got a good one...I need to order 5 more! I can give out several of these as gifts for less than I can give out 1 ARC LS! Very pleased!

By the way the holster that comes with the Inova X5T fits the Reactor fine, though I like holsters with a foldover flap for security reasons. Anyone have any suggestions for one of those?

(Of course one goes into my collection and into the truck!)

Rebus

Enlightened
I saw a Tac catalog at
work today and it was advertizing
a 3AA cell Reactor. I first looked
at it and said "That doesn't look
right, it's too long."

They call it the Reactor III.

Maybe this will solve some of the
problems we've been reading about.

-Rebus

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebus-

That is interesting. Please let us all know what more you find out about the Reactor III.