MAG85 - When to Recharge?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This may sound like a stupid question, however I'm not really up to speed when it comes to NiMH cells. At what point should I recharge my 9xAA NiMH cells? Do I wait for it to get grossly dim or terribly yellow?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
pitbull, that is true for NiCads, but NOT NiMH!!

NiMH cells should be turned off and allowed to cool as soon as the light starts to dim!!

NiMH cells have a higher capacity than NiCads and with that and the different chemistry, are much more likely to reverse one of the cells in the group if you run until they are yellow.

If you want to keep your cells, please recharge when they are just dimming.

Bill

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Since I do not use Nicads, I adopt the same practice for my rechargeables, I recharge mine (Li-Ions & Nimhs) as soon as they dim. In fact I recharge my R123 Li Ions immediately after every use whether they dims or not, as long as I used them.

I will do so the same with my Nimhs AAs if not for the fact that they are in EL Adapters and Willie Hunt Adapters, makes me lazy to remove them, so I recharge them when they dims significantly.

The only exception is when they are brand new on their first charge, I tend to use them till they really dims before I recharge them. I do not know if I am doing the right thing, but it feels right.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH's MUST be conditioned properly to get maximum performance and life from them.

As I have had it explained to me, the first charge, at least, and preferably the first few, should be at low rates of charge, preferably no more than C10, which is the MaH rating divided by 10.

Sunseequent charges may be at higher rates.

NiMH cells continue to improve in performance for as much as the first 10-20 runs if properly cared for.

They do no like being left on trickle chargers for prolonged periods either.

NEVER discharge past the slight dimming point if you can avoid it.

Bill

Raybo

Enlightened
Thanks Bill, I did not know that low rate thingy for the first few charges, I'm still breaking my cells in and will follow your advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif